Through the Rain

The party was in full swing when I made my grand entrance. I was only slightly less nervous the second time around. At least this was less formal than the crowning ceremony. My dress was simpler now, a misty silver gown that hugged my torso and hips and flowed out around my legs. It was far easier to move in then the last one. Mary had swapped the heavy crown for what was basically a delicate band of diamonds, and she'd even managed to fix my hair perfectly afterword. I'd told her she was a genius and she blushed bright red.

Now every eye was on me, and Erik wasn't escorting me this time. He was walking several feet behind me. To my relief nobody bowed this time. Instead, they all began to crowd around me, and I ended up walking through the enthusiastic crowd, shaking hands and greeting all of them, being patted on the shoulder and kissed on the cheeks by the women. It was surprising, and it filled me with relief.

"Megan!"

I looked up on time to see a blur of green satin and blonde hair, and then Charlotte was hugging me tightly, "you did so well! You looked amazing up there!"

I laughed, trying to untangle myself gently, "thanks, Charlotte. I was really nervous."

Davin stood back a little, smiling at Charlotte's enthusiastic embrace, "Well you didn't look it. You looked very majestic."

"Thanks," I felt myself color slightly at all the praise.

"Good thing you didn't lose your lunch," Charlotte added cheerfully.

I pulled a face at her, but before I could say anything Becca, Stacey, Margaret and Marian arrived right next to her. Once Charlotte released me from her death grip the others hugged me as well, and Marian gave a big thumbs up.

"Thanks girl," I beamed around at them.

"You looked amazing!" Becca grinned at me, "how do you feel?"

"I'm okay," I smiled, "a little overwhelmed."

A deep voice rumbled behind me, "What will your first official act as Queen be?"

I jumped, turning to see Fenrir lurking behind me. I crossed my arms and stared narrowly down at the big wolf. I was Queen now, there was no way I was going to let him intimidate me, "I think you know, Fenrir. I'll be teaching the jotun all about fake fur."

Fenrir rumbled low in his throat, something that might have been the wolf equivalent of laughter, "Very good, your majesty. You and I will get along just fine."

                "You helped us," I said seriously, "You fought and died with us. We couldn't have won without you. We'll help you in any way we can."

Fenrir dipped his head, then glanced up as Surtr materialized beside him, draping one muscular arm around the wolf's neck, "You botherin' the Queen, you scurvy fuzz-bucket?"

Fenrir growled back, "Do you value your throat, you hairy oaf?"

"You'd make a good carpet," Surtr shot back.

My mouth hung open, until I realized they were only joking, "Good lord, Surtr, for a moment I thought you'd gone and offended him. Then I'd have to shout off with you head."

Surtr looked surprised, then he threw back his head and bellowed with laughter, "you just try your majesty! Just you try!" He put one heavy arm around my shoulders and pulled me into a side hug, "you look wonderful by the way. My son seen you yet?" He winked.

I was starting to turn bright red, so I was grateful when Fenrir growled, "You'll get her party dress sooty, you dirty lummox."

Surtr winked at me and pulled back, saying to the wolf, "come on, fluffy. Let's go to the dessert tables. There's a platter of strawberry tarts with my name on it, and maybe they'll have a couple of buckets of raw meat or something. Or a few sheep floating around somewhere."