Poofless & Vikklan- Life In Shadows Part 2

Rob's P.O.V.

Preston ducked under the bush, a panicked look on his face.

Rob- He called, his thoughts ringing out clearly, panicked. There's people everywhere, I think we're trapped.

We're getting out of here, okay? I thought sternly, There's no way in hell we're giving up, understand?

He nodded, his face pinched with worry, but he let me take his hand while placing a finger to my lips, pulling him sideways into the bushes where we could sneak away. All the time I looked around, sensing for any presence of human life, who were hunting us.

The whole time I could hear Preston's thoughts, worried and panicked, but I quietly reassured him silently, making sure he knew that everything was going to be okay. I squeezed his hand reassuringly, my lips occasionally brushing his cheeks when we stopped to listen for movement.

We stopped a few hours later to rest, my breathing heavy and Preston's head nodding from exhaustion. He pretty quickly fell asleep in my lap and although I didn't want to stop, I knew he couldn't continue on any longer.

I stroked his hair comfortingly and held him close, asleep after only a few minutes.

"Love you Pressy." I mumbled. The only reply I got was a content and sleepy sigh.

-----------------------------------------------------

The next few days passed as 'normal', on the run and living off the land because we didn't have any other choice. Preston was constantly exhausted because he was running off barely anything and because he controlled fire, he had to keep a fire going by our camp all the time.

We stopped on the edge of a river and the only way we could get anywhere was to go across it. Preston hesitated for a little while because he wasn't great at swimming and you know, fire, he didn't particularly didn't want to go across.

It took quite a bit of coaxing but eventually we got to the other side and there we sat, both soaking wet, on the bank of the river. Preston started shivering after a minute or so, so I took him by his hand and pulled him into the trees again to get him sorted.

He fell asleep still shivering, which made me feel really bad, but his clothes were dry and he was full for the first time in months, so everything was okay. My stomach was still growling as I had given most of the food to Preston so he could keep his energy up.

I struggled to sleep despite the fact I was exhausted, I was scared, worried and I didn't know what to do, especially as we were under threat all the time. I couldn't bear it if Preston was taken away or if we were separated.

Preston was asleep with his head on my lap, still shivering a little bit, but he was in a deep sleep that I knew he wouldn't wake up from for a while. I kissed his forehead, settling down again.

The next morning we set off again, trekking in no particular direction because we had nowhere specifically to go. We couldn't cross the border, we were more well known over there, so we couldn't leave.

Preston was a little bit more lively, laughing and joking and skipping along, running back and forwards. He was happy so I was happy, even lowering the weapons in my hands because he was so carefree.

Normally I held my bow at the ready or a knife up my sleeve, but I slipped the arrow back into the quiver and slid the knife into the sheath on my belt, feeling safe for once in my life. And oh, how did I regret that decision.

Not a minute after I put away all of my weapons both of us froze, hearing the click of a gun being loaded.

"Don't you two even think about moving." Preston gulped and I saw his breathing quicken within a second.