44

"So why are we here again?" I ask as we make our way across the parking lot

"So why are we here again?" I ask as we make our way across the parking lot. "We're here because this is the best shopping that the greater Greenville area has to offer," Lexi says, holding the door to the mall open for the rest of us.

"And, because there's less chance of running into anyone we know," Faye says with a cheeky look on her face and I try to read her expression. "Wouldn't want people to overhear us talking about your sex life would you?" Faye says looking directly at me with a smirk.

My face turns red and I avoid eye contact, making it completely obvious that there is something to be embarrassed about. The girls squeal when they see my reaction and I know that it's too late to deny that something is going on.

"It's not really a big deal, we haven't even done it," I say vaguely, referring to going all the way. Talking about my sex life, even with my friends, is not something I feel comfortable doing. That is something between Maddox and me. I hope to God that he feels the same way.

"Yet." Kiki remarks and the girls nod. I continue to blush as we walk down the long corridor, stopping in a cute boutique that sells dresses.

"So Chase tells me that your birthday passed and you didn't say anything." Lexi says conspiratorially and I look down. Faye and Kiki both give her a confused look. They seem to have a secret conversation with their eyes and Lexi looks away first, looking back at me to listen to my answer.

"Um, yeah." The girls all turn to look at me in surprise as we walk.

"Why didn't you say anything?" Faye exclaims, and Lexi and Kiki nod in agreement. I shrug helplessly.

"Birthdays weren't a big deal in boarding school as there were so many of us. We would get a cake at the end of each month to share amongst everyone." I tell them, not seeing the big deal. Sure, as children, birthdays were a big deal but surely as adults, you can't carry the same enthusiasm.

"That's so sad," Kiki pouts and I shrug.

"Oh my god. We should plan a party anyway!" Faye exclaims and Lexi and Kiki agree. I smile at their excitement, but feel slightly uncomfortable at the thought. If I'm celebrating, I'd rather spend the day with the people I care about and not anyone else. We walk over to a store that sells beautiful dresses of all kinds and sort through the racks separately, showing each other the ones that catch our eye.

"Ooh, what about this one?" Kiki yells out and holds up a bright red dress covered in sequins and I can't help but giggle.

"What if we did a themed party?" Lexi asks and we all look at each other.

"I'm not so sure that I really want a party." I tell them honestly and they nod in understanding, all looking deep in thought.

"What about a barbecue? Invitation only." Lexi offers and my eyes light up.

"So we need some cute summer dresses." Faye remarks and I find myself feeling excitement towards my birthday for the first time in a long time. I feel grateful that these girls are so adaptable to any situation. Holding up a short pink sundress, Kiki waves the material toward me catching the attention of the other girls.

My eyes widen and I shake my head. The other three girls nod mischievously then drag me and the dress to a change room. "Just try it on for us! We won't make you wear anything that you don't want to!" Lexi yells through the door and I sag in relief, slipping on the dress.

"I cannot wear this in public!" I yell out, looking down at myself and cringing at the amount of pale skin showing. Peering cautiously out of the change room, making sure that nobody besides my friends can see me, I step out.

"Holy shit."

"I second that."

"Wow." Faye, Lexi, and Kiki all say respectively when they look at me. I have to admit, they all look incredible in their own dresses and as I turn around to face the mirror on the back of the door, despite the length, I find myself warming up to the beautiful, feminine style.

Blush pink with sparsely placed flowers, the sundress is thin and flowy. Thin straps hold it up, and the fabric gives the illusion that it laces up at either side of my waist, yet shows no skin. My hands run over the soft chiffon material of the top layer and as I take a step, the bottom layer of satin that sits against my body slides across the skin of my thigh. I feel exposed yet beautiful.

"You love it," Faye says and I nod slowly, smiling.

"Okay let's get these and then we just have one more store." Lexi says excitedly before we all move back to our respective change rooms.

"I knew you three were being dodgy," I remark as I stare up at the store full of lingerie. Do they expect me to tag along or to actually buy something? I could never wear any of this. Does Maddox prefer when girls wear this?

I follow the girls in and feel the fabrics of different garments as I pass them. My eyes linger on one set consisting of a strapless lace push-up bra, a garter belt, a lace thong, and thigh-high stockings. All pink.

"Get it. It'll be your belated birthday present from me." Lexi says quietly from over my shoulder. I look back at her and shake my head, tearing my eyes away from the gorgeous lace lingerie.

"I couldn't imagine how much this costs," I say, not feeling comfortable with Lexi spending so much money on me. If I really needed to, I could pay for it by myself, but I won't waste money on something like this.

"I insist. Things seem to be going really well with you and Maddox, and when you wear something like this, for you, not for him, it gives you so much confidence and it's amazing. You could even wear it just for yourself, like a pretty little secret that only you know about." She says and I look longingly at the beautiful set. "Either you try it on and let me buy it, or I'm just going to buy one of every size and leave them all in your room." Lexi shrugs and my eyes widen.

"Alright, but only because you're certifiable and I don't want to upset you." I laugh, taking a few sizes into a change room to try them on. I admire it on myself, loving the way it fits and looks against my fair skin.

Looking at myself, I can't imagine even Maddox seeing this on me no matter how powerful I feel with it on. Changing back into my clothes, I carry the properly fitting set out with me and Lexi snatches it quickly from my hands. I purse my lips when she glares at me.

Kiki and Faye are chatting animatedly while I browse the rest of the store, imagining each set on myself and making up my mind that I'd like to come back here when I have more money.

Maybe the next time I buy a lingerie set, it'll be for Maddox's birthday instead of my own.