XXXVIII

It was the day after the incident that happened last night in the forest, Malakei and I decided to train elsewhere instead of in our usual place within the sanctuary of the forest. I felt as though Mal was shaken up a lot with what happened last night and wants to keep me as far away from the place as possible. It was impossible but I understood exactly where he was coming from. I was starting to worry too.

Much like yesterday, my concentration and attention to sword fighting with Mal lacked and I didn't think Malakei looked like he wanted to train today either, he seemed quiet and had a lot on his mind. He much resembled a glass filled to the brim and any moment he was about to spill and shatter.

Malakei sensed my frustration, knowing I had a lot on my mind but I don't think he saw the underlying pain in my eyes I desperately tried to mask. The pain of missing Raen and feeling like I lost him all over again. Last night was a brutal reminder of how he slipped through my fingers-

Not paying attention, I didn't register Malakei's elbow coming out to hit my cheek and with a groan, my head reels to the left as I wince. Malakei moves back with a sigh and throws down his sword as I rub my pained cheek.

"Ok, training is not working like it used to." Malakei states running his hand through his hair.

"Yeah." I agree quietly as I too, throw down my sword onto the snow and roll my sore shoulder. Malakei purses his lips in hesitation as he looks at me in contemplation.

"Wanna talk-"

"No." I say sternly looking up at him. "It was just like any other nightmare-"

"-But this time you didn't wake up in your bed like all the other times, instead I find myself following your snow tracks into the forest." Malakei counteracts and I grit my teeth, bringing my hand up to scratch my neck in irritation.

"So I sleep walk, so what?"

"You never sleep walk." Malakei states with a frown. "That's what I'm concerned about."

"Well maybe it's another symptom of grieving after the person I loved died."

I noticed how Malakei winces at the end of my statement before frowning in no no no...was that pity?

"Key-"

"Just forget about it, I don't want to talk about it."

Malakei looks taken back for a moment but quickly shakes out of it and frowns. Hesitant at first but nods in understanding.

"Ok."

We headed to lunch and met up with Bow and Tara. Bow being his as of lately-jittery self as he awaited Anya to come to the Dry Lands with his son any day now. Tara was quiet as she usually was but when she saw Malakei, her expression became even sadder but she masked it with a smile. I frowned in worry and wonder what happened between them. They used to be so close but now it was like they were only civil to one another and that was it. I could tell Tara longed for comfort from Malakei but whatever happened, she feels as though she can't reach out to him anymore. It was a sad thought and I hoped it wasn't the case and it was just in my head.

Malakei was more hesitant around me now, I could tell he was worried and slightly pissed but not to the point of ignoring me about it. It was strange. I could feel the tension building between us but I didn't want to deal with anything at the moment. All of this was giving me a headache and making me tired.

I went to my tent earlier than yesterday because I just wasn't feeling up to the day anymore. Malakei didn't hesitate in following me. Most likely not making the same mistake as yesterday to not come back with me to the tent. If it wasn't for him being there in the forest yesterday and carrying me back to camp, I don't know what would've happened.