Chapter Twenty-Seven: Shift

I ducked my head to enter the sleek black limousine, trying to act like I had been in one before. I really didn't want to embarrass Percyus on top of everything I had already done. Instead I just kept my head down, staring intently at the heels he insisted I wear. I had never worn shoes before, let alone ones that were so painful. I assumed it was another way Percyus was punishing me for hurting him. I had to admit, I'm the mirror they looked really nice though. I'd seen women walk in them, confidence following all that wore them, and I wished I could show that part of me I was slowly discovering but I knew I had no right. I had no place in this world to be confident or independent.

I slid into my seat obediently, folding my hands in my lap. More people filtered into the limo, making six of us. Lorenzo sat next to a girl I'd never seen before, and the other couple were familiar. Riley and Myra, the fighters id been trying to take notes from. Disdainfully I remembered that I never got to train and become stronger, like he has promised. As if I deserved that reward anymore. They looked so impressive, muscles defining every inch of their bodies, the red they wore matching so good.

     Percyus had ended up picking out my dress, as he wanted us to match like the other couples. He had chosen a dark, dangerous blue, like a riptide in a violent sea. It clashed against his eyes so beautifully, the green of his irises and the blue of the tie making him look as handsome as ever. When I had snuck in a glance in the mirror, I had reluctantly realized I looked quite nice. I knew that wasn't something anyone should be proud of, selfishly brandishing my so-called beauty. Nobody wanted a self centered mate. I had to tear my eyes away from the mirror. They had seemingly gotten darker, more deep by the color of the dress.

     Lorenzo and his date wore black, sleek and shiny. His date was wearing a shimmery, right fitter dress that was far shorter than mine. She looked stunning and for a fleeting moment I was oh-so jealous. I was jealous of just about everyone. Lorenzo seemed truly content with his date, even though I knew he had yet to have a mate. She seemed like a very close friend. They whispered joke to each other before bursting into snorts and giggles. Percyus did nothing of the sort.

     He sat as far away from me as he could, it seemed. There was a seat between us while everyone else was pushed up against their dates. I was cold, goosebumps rising along my arms from his lack of heat near me. My heart hurt, a dull throb in my chest and my throat burned from holding back tears that I had no idea what were for. I had nothing to cry about, so I had no idea what could possibly be going on. My heels were throbbing my feet, that was probably why. They weren't even that tall, and I could barely walk in them. Percyus had an expert heel-walker from the pack come in and show me the basics. If this is what all shoes were like, I'd rather stay barefoot.

     The limousine came to a slow stop, the windows showing he had parked in front of a very elegant and rich looking restaurant. I'd only been to one restaurant before and it had been with Percyus on the day he claimed me. I hadn't even gotten anything since I wasn't allowed. I didn't even know if I would today, but I figured a water would be fine. I was truly famished from the lack of food in my stomach, but I knew I couldn't possibly be in the realm of deserving food. I had hurt Percyus, and practically assaulted him, leaving him utterly disgusted with me, that is the farthest from being granted food if I'd ever seen.

     Percyus and I were the last to step from the ride, he going first to give me a hand while I stepped out. I figured it was more for show, as people on the sidewalk stopped to stare with looks of awe. The rumors were right, humans were small. I was the runtiest runt that ever lived but I was taller than most of them. I returned my gaze to the ground as I straightened the dress. Percyus closed the door behind me with a slam to make sure I'm shut, in return making me flinch almost unnoticeably. I could be making a scene in front of all these people.