Chapter 12- Lies

An hour later, Marinette still sat against the cold fountain, staring at the small notebook in her hands. During times like these, it helped to draw herself away from the world and completely focus on her designs. Tikki slowly peeped through the purse's opening and stared up at Marinette as she worked. Her pencil moved diligently across the thick paper as she drew the Chat Noir inspired design. For some reason, thinking about her partner right now made her happy. She was sure that if he was here, he'd be making as many puns as he could in an attempt to make her feel better. Abruptly she stopped writing and stared down at the sketchpad. With one hand, she pulled her knees to her chest and looked out into the streets of Paris. Many cars flew by, one by one, yet nobody that walked by paid any attention to her. And she was glad for that. Silently, she let the tears flow, the droplets blurring the dark lines of the sketch she was still holding in front of her.

"Marinette..." Tikki whispered. The blue-haired girl just simply frowned at her.

"Is there anything I can do?"

Marinette sighed. "I don't know. I don't think so."

The kwami reached her little arm out and Marinette gladly reached her pinkie out to hold it. It was so kind-hearted of Tikki to risk being seen in order to comfort her owner. She knew that if Master Fu knew about all the times she'd popped out of the bag to speak to Marinette in public, he wouldn't be very happy with her.

"My life is over, Tikki." Marinette's voice cracked and she let the tears fall even harder. The lies that were being spread around about her could really hurt her reputation. But more importantly, it could ruin all her friendships and make her family wonder if the girl they once knew was really who they thought. Deep down inside, she knew her parents wouldn't believe the lies, but it's hard when everybody else does. She'd never slept with anybody. She was a virgin for Christ's sake! And she would never cheat her way into an opportunity. That wasn't right. But what is true is the fact that moving in with Adrien did look quite suspicious. Especially since every teenage fashion designer in Paris wanted to be Gabriel Agreste's intern. If Gabriel happened to hear these rumors, which he most likely would, what would he think of the girl he was allowing to move into the same house as his son? Tikki shook her head quickly at Marinette's comment and tried to reassure her with inspiring words.

"No, it's not. You'll get through this. You always get through this. You're Ladybug."

Marinette shook her head.

"I'm not Ladybug. Not right now. I'm Marinette. And Marinette's weak. And tired. And hurt."

Tikki's little heart broke at her friend's desperate words.

"I know you're not supposed too, but why don't you go for a little run? As... As Ladybug? Maybe you'll be able to let go of some of these frustrations."

Marinette thought for a second.

"I mean, that's against the rules isn't it?"

Tikki shook her head. "You're not supposed to since you could worry the citizens, but since you do take runs every night anyway, why not just take one now?"

"Wow, Tikki. I never thought you were one to want to break the rules." Marinette giggled.

The kwami's eyes widened. "No that's not what I'm saying-"