Chapter 23

"—appear. A Slade's wrath is worse than Hell unleashing on earth."

I woke up hearing two things: hushed whispers and chirping of birds. I assumed it was some time during the day, since that's when birds are most active. My eyes fluttered open slowly and my senses came again. I looked around me steadily, blinking my eyes to get rid of the blurriness. My blood was boiling.

I was locked in an underground dungeon, lying on the dirty floor. Oh, it's going down.

I hissed as I tried to get up, but my feet were too wobbly so they gave out on me, causing me to collapse violently against the stone ground. Why was it so dark here with only threads of sunlight piercing through?

Was I going to stick around and smile at the filthiness of this place? Was I going to be some princess and wait for my prince charming to come save me? The answer was as obvious as the filthiness of this place. I try to stand again, but that was like an attempt to lift an unsteady elephant.

"You're too weak right now."

My head snapped to the direction of the voice, and my eyes met a gorgeous face that I've never seen before. Cold, cobalt blue eyes and charmingly messy red hair. Muscular yet lean body and a tall figure. Delicious, yet even the blindest eye could see that this man wouldn't stand a chance against Sebastian. I was starting to think that there isn't anyone close enough to rival Sebastian's out-of-this-world looks. Yuck, so cliché.

Wait. Weak? Did he call me weak?

"You can only regain your energy through feeding." he says, watching me carefully. "Something which you won't be doing for a while." he smirks when he notices my tense figure.

"Where the hell am I, Witch?" I hiss forcefully, pulling myself into a sitting position. I feel fine, but I can't stand up on my feet. That's the problem.

"You can tell that I'm a Witch?" he asks with amusement as he pulls a nearby chair and places it in front of my cell before he straddles it, his arms resting on the top of the chair.

I snort. At least he sounds somehow entertaining. I look him with a frown and pretend to think. "I was going to say zombie, but you don't look dead," I said, then smirked. "Yet."

He was quiet, observing me with heavy silence. His eyes were narrowed on me in concentration, as though he was trying to answer something. I couldn't take more of it, and so I rolled my eyes.

"Why don't you take a picture?" I said with a tight smile. "It lasts longer."

A chuckle vibrated from within his chest and tickled my ears as the sound travelled inside the quiet underground basement. Why was he amused?

"On another note," I began, feeling bored with the situation. "What the hell did you fools give me to knock me out like that?" I narrowed my eyes at the unpleasant memory.