Chapter 1

"... It's fucked up how you played me... "
~ Chris Brown

......

There are three reasons why I hate mornings. One reason is the ear piercing sound that echoes from the alarm indicating the start of the day. A day that I already have planned out in my mind: go to school, hang out with friends, come back home, do homework, eat and sleep. This is just an overview, I mean things happen and I have to adjust my timing around other events.

So, like every other morning, I pound the clock with my fist to turn off the ungodly sound and get up to start my morning routine. After brushing my teeth, I exit the bathroom and change into a white tank top, black leggings and a black leather jacket. Right when I'm done applying some mascara and eyeliner, my phone rings.

I close up the cosmetic products and pick up the call, "Hello?"

"Hey Summer, just checking up on you," I recognize the voice as Brody's.

"I'm good, just finished getting ready for school," I inform.

"You moved to Chicago from Tennessee, and don't know most of the people around you, so just be safe. If you see anything unusual, let me know," I listen to him talk as I walk over to Alice's room.

"Don't worry, I will. But I gotta go now, or else I'm gonna be late for school."

"Okay, bye."

"Bye," I reply before ending the call.

"Brody needs to stop worrying. We're a good thousand miles away from your hometown," Alice, my step sister, replies as she applies some Mac highlighter.

"He's like a brother; he'll worry no matter what. Now, hurry up, mom and dad are probably waiting."

If this girl isn't stopped, she will keep touching up her makeup for another an hour.

"I'm ready, let's go," Alice smiles heading out the door. I follow behind by walking down the stairs to our dining room. Both my parents are decent earners, working in their own professional fields and could afford a house much larger than this one. But my dad likes to believe, that since they're always busy and had a bigger house, we would never see each other. Which I feel would be true, so I don't mind living in a snug place like this.

"Are my girls excited for senior year?" dad asks before taking a bite of his bacon.

"Yeah, well kind of, just happy that we'll get out of waking up early in the mornings," I admit.

"Me too, I hate waking up early. Did you know science has proven that kids aren't physically ready to learn until ten am?" Alice says almost surprised by the fact herself.

"I've heard that," I agree.

"Oh, come on, just ten months to go. You should enjoy the time, you can't always get it back," mom says.

"True," I comment pouring some milk into a glass for myself. When everything drops silent, I look around at the awkward looks being exchanged. I roll my eyes when I catch onto the fact that they think my comment referred to something deeper.

"Nope. No time to get sentimental guys."

When no one replies, I look at my phone and blurt, "Would you look at that? It's time to go."

I scoot my chair back and hug mom and dad before dragging Alice out to the car with me.

"That was awkward," she states the obvious.

"I know."

"Why don't you tell them the truth about who you actually are?" she asks once I'm sat on the driver's seat.