Chapter 8

"... Just take your time to
recover 'Cause it's easier said,
it's easier said than done..."
~ Alessia Cara

......

"Summer, wake up," Alice shakes me. I lazily wave my hand around in the air, trying to get her to stop. "We're stopping for fifteen."

"Okay," my eyes flutter open just in time to watch her exit the bus. I stay seated for a few minutes just to fully wake up. Today is the start of the three day camping trip and camp is still three hours away.

All last night, the smell of Alice's vomit and the sound of her coughing kept me up. I didn't complain because it isn't her fault, but it was really annoying. I let out a long yawn before getting up and exiting the bus.

As I exit the bus, I watch Kai's black Audi pull up, making me miss mine. It was precious and everything to me. Now, I have to depend on Alice to go anywhere and everywhere I have to go.

I walk into the convenience store and find Alice with a basket full of junk food.

"Ooh! My favourite," I grin looking at the bag of Maltesers.

"Yup," Alice pops the p. I look around and spot Cole wearing a white t-shirt two aisles down.

"I'll be right back," I tell Alice who nods in response. I walk down and take a left towards Cole's aisle.

"Hey," I greet standing next to him.

"Hi," he responds, confused.

"Can you, maybe, take care of Alice for the rest of the trip?"

"Why?"

"Because her vomiting kept me up all night, and since she was drugged on your watch, I think you should be the one handling the aftermath," I cross my arms.

"Whatever, give me the pills," he extends his hand out. Even though, I'm surprised as to how he consented so easily, I don't question him and hand him the pills.

"Thanks, and let Kai know I'll be riding with him." I turn around and walk back to Alice. "Good news."

"What?"

"I'm getting a break."

"What?"

"Cole's gonna take care of you."

"Oh my god, thank you," Alice sighs and my jaw drops open.

"I was the one who stayed up all night because of you vomiting," I complain.

"And I was the one you had to listen to your complaining."

"Whatever, just make sure you puke on him."

"You know it," Alice laughs. "I'm gonna buy these."

"Okay, I'll be riding with Kai."

"Good luck."

"Thanks," we both smile. I linger around the store a bit longer, until I watch the bus departure. Seeing that Kai's car is still parked outside, I walk up to the counter, "Two packs of cigarettes, please."

"ID," the clerk asks. I reach down my pocket. My heart skips a beat when my ID is no where to be found.

"Isabella, you dropped your card," the depth of his voice sends shivers down my spine. Kai stands next to me and hands the guy my fake ID. The clerk looks at it and hands me the two packs in exchange for the amount due.

Before I can take the two packs off the counter, Kai beats me to it. I glare at him, but he gives me a look saying 'Don't you dare'. My lips form a thin line as I walk past him aggressively brushing his shoulder.