Chapter 6: De Quincey

ELEANORA'S POV
  "It'll be fine," I reassure Tessa. "Just don't speak unless spoken to. Especially you, Liam."

  "And you?" Will asks, raising an eyebrow, hatred in his eyes.

  "Trust me, dear friends. I am an expert at acting. Many asked me before if I had intentions of joining a play," I say airily.

  "We are not friends," Will says harshly.

  Tessa—or should I say Camille—rolls her eyes. "I, for one, like Ella. She knows how to shut you up."

  Will scowls over at me and I smirk.

  The carriage rattles to a stop, and Thomas goes to open the door for us. I step out without the help of Will. My mother always said that I shouldn't rely on other men.

  "Tessa," I whisper. "You follow my lead. Do not listen to Will. Trust me."

  "You will address me not as Tessa but as a servant would," Tessa says to both me and Will. "Now come."

  I grin, following her up the steps.

  "Your ladyship," The footman bowed his head in Tessa's direction. Then he guides us down a long corridor and into a large marble-floored room. He departs and Will and I both flank Tessa on either side.

  "We must look for Magnus Bane," Will says under his breath. "He is meant to guide us through this mess. I shall point him out if I see him."

  Tessa straightens her spine, and beckons Will to her side with a quick snap of her fingers. He looks up in surprise, then moves to join her, clearly fighting to hide his annoyance. I almost grin. "Now, don't go wandering off, William," Tessa says with a meaningful glance. "I don't want to lose you in the crowd."

  Will's jaw set. "I'm getting the oddest feeling that you're enjoying this," he says under his breath.

  "I am," I mutter.

  "Nothing odd about it." Tessa chucks him under the chin with the tip of her lace fan. "Simply behave yourself."

  I let out a small laugh.

  "Camille."

  I look up and see de Quincey. His eyes travel from Tessa to Will, and finally to me.

  He grins at me. "Tagging along with Camille, dear Eleanora?"

  "I'm interested in what you spend your dearest nights doing, Alexei," I say, waving a hand at the room. "You don't mind, do you?"

  "Certainly not," de Quincey says. "You should know that you are always welcomed here, Eleanora. Shadowhunter or not."

  "Your generosity is most appreciated," I say, acting. "I hope what you have in there will entertain me."

  "Entertain you it will, Ella," de Quincey says, and turns his attention back to Camille. "It is so great to have you here, Camille."

  "Indeed," Tessa said, holding her hand out. She stands still as Alexei kisses it, and I watch, impressed.

  "A new subjugate you have, I see," Alexei says. "This one is quite fetching." He reaches out a thin pale hand, and drew his forefinger down the side of Will's cheek to his jaw. "Such unusual coloring," he muses. "And these eyes."

  "Thank you," says Tessa, in the manner of one being complimented on an especially tasteful choice of wallpaper. She watches nervously as de Quincey moves even closer to Will, who looks pale and strained.

  I decide to cut in. "Alexei, I rather like him. Please don't lay a hand on him."

  Alexei sighs, not yet lifting his fingers from Will. "How about a small bite?"