Chapter 21; no regrets

Hi *waves tentatively* I know it's been a very very very long time since I lost posted but, well, things have been tough. It's not really an excuse but my mental health had been kicking my butt big time, and my situation at home is sort of bad. Anyway, I spent some time re-reading the book and I'm able to get back into it. Those edits I talked about? I decided that I didn't need them. I think it was the medication talking at that time. I read ALL of your comments and I am super grateful for all of y'all support! 

Warning: mature shakalaka ding dog ;)

* * *

The moment that they passed the invisible barrier in the jungle, Alice felt her chest constrict. She couldn't explain the overbearing force that attacked her; her head felt as if it was being squished beneath Colden's heavy paws, her ribs felt like they were ready to crack and there was blood trickling out of her nose.

Alice hid her face in the scruff of Colden's neck. His powerful body jostled her around as he ran at a speed she didn't think possible, next to Tya's grey wolf. Worried whimpers escaped his snout and from the corner of her eye, she could see Belle's wolf giving them equally worried looks.

But Alice didn't let go. Not even when her arms felt like they wouldn't be able to hold her up for much longer or when she could have sworn that she saw her fathers black eyes blinking back at her. She held on no matter what. They run for hours, skidding past dark green roots and tree stumps that grew out of nowhere as if to surprise the strangers in its kingdom. Tya manoeuvred- led them- as if he had the jungle memorized, even though it had a strange suspicion to change.

A groaned pain escaped her mouth when Colden skidded beneath a low branch that came down to smack them. Her hair ruffled, the branch barely missing her head. Colden let out a warning growl, nipping at the end of Tya's tail. if she wasn't in pain and terrified, Alice would have laughed.

At some point, through the headache that pulsed in her head and nosebleeds that poured out of her, Alice had drifted off. It was hard not to with the wolfs muscles rippling beneath her like waves, lulling her to sleep. It was a gift. She wouldn't have been able to take the pain the jungle forced onto her much longer.

It was obvious she wasn't welcome here and if it wasn't for Colden's warning hackles, she was sure that the creatures and beasts that lived within this kingdom of green would be feasting upon her already. She had a gnawing suspicion that it was all because of whatever was lingering beneath her skin, nestled between her bones and the good in her.

Her eyes snapped open in panic when something hit Colden's side. Her world spun as they tumbled to the ground, Colden's snarls and whimpers wrapping around her like a scarf. Air choked out off her as she lay on the jungle floor, writhing and screaming silent screams as the jungle that filled the nature aimed to suffocate whatever was wrong with her out of her.

It would kill her if it couldn't. 

Stars danced in front of her eyes. She could see, from the corners of her eyes, Belle and Tya fighting off a beast with horns and thick leathered skin. It looked like something out of a mythology book. Something that shouldn't be alive as much as she. It gave her little comfort to know that if she died she'd just come back.

Colden's silver yes blinked down at her. This moment reminded her of the accident that she had those many weeks ago. Alice smiled, blinking back the tears. Blood trickled down her temple. He cooed at her as he lifted her up bridal style.

"Hold on, pumpkin," his voice shook, airy against her head, "we're almost there."

Alice still heard the snarls and growls behind them but Colden didn't seem to care. He ran through the jungle with her in his arms, murmuring about how Belle and Tya would punish the beast and she would be safe within a few minutes time.