Chapter 25

Hi!

I can't believe this is chapter 25 already, we're about half way through the book! I know I've said this before, but thank you so much for all the support you've shown!

Without it I don't think I'd have gotten past chapter 10 ;)

Thanks for bearing with me these far apart updates and giving me so many votes and lovely comments!

The media for this chapter is by @fighterlove, thank you!

------------------

Chapter 25

Bree led me, followed by Autumn, to a sandy arena closed off by a wooden fence.

"First, we need to find your weapon, the one that you feel the most comfortable with, the one that, were you a warrior, you would in time learn to master." Bree said. She was in her element here, I could tell, but she just had to underline the fact that she didn't think I was capable to master a weapon.

"Let's start with the one that is the most commonly used by otherwise helpless princesses: the dagger. Pretty faces who think more about their style than their security can get all kind of daggers decorated like jewelry." The tone of her voice said much about her opinion of such women. "But, if used correctly, daggers can also be deadly. They're small, easy to hide beneath your clothes, but a flick of the wrist, and-"

I gasped. A knife had appeared in her hand out of nowhere and was now two inches away from my face.

"You're dead." Bree finished. She brought her hand back down, thankfully away from my face, and twirled the knife around her fingers. "Bring out a target," she called out to the small group of on lookers that had gathered around the small arena.

Someone brought a target, which was set down about fifteen feet away from us. Bree stood in front of it, aimed, and let the knife fly. It embedded in the red circle in the middle. The redhead didn't seem to think much of her perfect throw and casually retrieved the knife and handed it to me.

"Your turn."

I held the dagger uncertainly. I knew how to use a kitchen knife, but not a throwing knife. How was I supposed to do this?

"Don't drop it on your toes," I familiar voice called out.

Bree frowned. "Aiden, didn't I tell you to go train?"

"Nope, you told me to go get my bow, which I did, so now I'm back," Aiden answered. Even though he was behind me and I couldn't see his face, I had no problem imagining the mischievous grin on his face.

Bree wisely decided to ignore him, and turned her attention back to me.

"Well? Throw it."

"But I've no idea how," I said.

"I just showed you. If you don't pay attention, you'll never learn anything." Bree snapped.

At that moment, I was very tempted to accidentally drop the knife on her toes.

Bree grabbed my wrist and positioned the knife correctly in my fingers.

"You know how to throw something, I hope?"

I gritted my teeth. Not wanting to leave her time for another derogatory comment, I bent my arm back, aimed towards the target, and threw the knife forwards.

It did not even hit the target.

Wordlessly and without even looking at me, Bree held out three other daggers for me. One of them bounced off the target, but the two others didn't even reach it.