5

RUBBING HER EYES AND stepping out of the tent into the hot air, Aria walks past the group without greeting them

      RUBBING HER EYES AND stepping out of the tent into the hot air, Aria walks past the group without greeting them. Shoving a piece of a fallen hair behind her ear, she stares down at the ground. "You missed the funerals." A voice speaks up and she turns around, meeting Lori's soft brown eyes.

"I'm sorry." Aria utters, sadness filling her tone of voice. Gulping harshly, she runs her fingertips over the blue fabric of the ripped out car seat.

"Its okay but you can't shut yourself out, it isn't good." Lori informs her and she nods, getting interrupted before she could reply.

"I've been thinking about Rick's plan." Shane says, walking over to the group. Sensing movement beside her, she glances over as Rick crouches down, sending her a curt nod. Returning the small and subtle action, she turns back towards Shane, listening closely.

"Now look, there are no guarantees either way. I'll be the first one to admit that. I've known this man a long time. I trust his instincts. I say the most important thing here is we need to stay together."

"So those of you that agree, we leave first thing in the morning, okay?" Sighing lightly, she walks away from the group, already having a horrible feeling.

♚ ♛

Quietly and gently zipping up the tent behind her, Aria walks over to the dimly lit fire, a small book and pictures in her hand. She sits down on a chair, crossing her legs and cracking open the book, trying her best to read the small words in the darkness. Her eyes trail over to the pile of pictures in her hands and she closes the book, staring at the first picture of her and Amy on their 7th birthday. Smiling lightly, she flips to the next one, her lip beginning to quiver.

Biting it, she swallows the lump in her throat, throwing the pictures down next to her. Staring off into the flame of the fire, she spaces out, the heat comforting her.

"What are you doing?" Snapping her head up, her wide blue eyes meet Daryl's and she relaxes slightly. Rubbing her fingers together, she completely forgets to answer his question. Hearing him scoff, she raises her eyebrows, sending him a questioning look.

"What oh. Um, I couldn't sleep." She answers, her cheeks turning pink in embarrassment. Mentally slapping herself for being so forgetful, she presses her lips in a line, her eyebrows furrowing as she watches Daryl sit down across from her.

"Can't sleep, either." He grunts and she slowly nods, looking back at the fire. After a few moments of awkward silence, Daryl decides to speak up, clearing his throat.

"You have to learn to stick up for yourself." He utters and Aria raises her head, chuckling lightly. She was always one people could just walk over and she wouldn't do nothing about it.

"I was never one to do that, so why now?" She replies, her shoulders shrugging to show her carelessness.

Reaching down and picking up a small rock, she tosses it in her hand. "It's fucking stupid. You're like a punching bag for your sister." Pursing her lips, she thinks over his words. Groaning and throwing the rock down, she looks at Daryl, her eyes slightly narrowing.

"You can be such a dick. But you're right." She mumbles, Daryl barely even hearing what she said.

Standing to her feet, she grabs her book and pictures, sending a smile towards him. "Goodnight." She whispers, walking off towards her tent.

♚ ♛

Standing silently beside Daryl and Dale, Aria listens closely as to what Rick and Shane are on about. "Those of you with C.B.s, we're gonna be on channel 40. Lets keep the chatter down, okay? Now you got a problem, don't have a C.B., can't get a signal or anything at all, you're gonna hit your horn one time. That'll stop the caravan. Any questions?"

Raising her arms and gathering her hair in her hand, she slides the hairband off her wrist, tying her hair up into a ponytail. "We're, uh—we're not going." Morales announces and Aria squints her eyes, pursing her lips.

"We have family in Birmingham. We want to be with our people." Morales's wife explains, looking around at everyone, a nervous look in her eyes.

"You go on your own, you won't have anyone to watch your back." Shane tells them, raising his eyebrows, sending them a hesitant look.

"We'll take the chance. I got to do what's best for my family. We talked about it. We're sure." Morales replies, glancing down at his wife and children. As Rick and Shane hand Morales a gun and some bullets, Daryl scoffs, obviously getting agitated. Sending the man a pointed look, Aria rolls her eyes at his behavior, noting how he was different the night before.

Trudging over to T-Dog and Andrea, Aria gets in the vehicle, completely ignoring her older sister.