Chapter two

(Harry's POV)

"You can't do this to me! You can't leave me!" I yell at him while tears stream down my face. "Don't do this to me, Drew . . . don't!"

It was a Summer romance. Nothing more. I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up, thinking that it could last forever. I thought Drew was the one; my one true love. How could I have been so gullible?

The Summer was amazing. He took me on amazing dates, like when he showed me the secret water fall that nobody else knew about. It was beautiful, and it was our special place. Our place, and nobody else's.

He told me he wanted to keep our relationship private, and I understood. He didn't want anyone to know he was bisexual, and I felt the same way. I wanted to tell people on my own time, you know?

Every single day I spent with Drew. He took me to the fair, we went to concerts together, and he was the first person to know about my secret talent; singing.

"I'm sorry, Harry. I don't want to make this long-distance. We were just a Summer romance, okay?" he tells me.

We're sitting near the waterfall in the middle of the woods, which is our 'special place'. Green leaves and grass surrounds me, and it's pouring outside, making me even more sad. It's like the world is crying with me.

"You can't leave me . . . please don't do this. You promised me we would be together f-forever." I mumble, staring down at my feet ignoring his soft, brown eyes that make me weak at my knees.

He flicks his hair out of his eyes, "I'm sorry . . ." he says.

"Y-you said you loved me," I say, finally lifting my head up and staring at him. I have tears rolling down my cheeks, but not Drew. He's perfectly fine.

"I say a lot of things I don't mean," he says shrugging, as if it wasn't a big deal. I can literally feel my heart snapping when he says that.

"Wake up, Styles. No sleeping," a deep voice says, followed by him snapping a ruler on my desk. I jerk my head up to see our principle, Mr. Oliver. I must've fallen asleep.

I look around the room quickly and notice I'm still in detention. Louis and I are the only students here. There's a chalk board in the front of the room and twenty or so student desks scattered around the class in rows and columns. I look up at Mr. Oliver and smile apologetically at him, flashing him my dimples.

"Uh, sorry sir. I must've just drifted asleep, it won't happen again," I apologize. He nods his bald head and returns to his desk at the front of the room, then props his legs up on the surface, and takes out a magazine to read.

I look over at Louis. He's sitting at the desk across the room from me, scribbling some notes down on his notepad. He takes his pen and brings it up to his mouth, then grazes his teeth against the cap. He seems to be in deep thought. Perhaps he's writing notes about the musical.

Mr. Oliver's phone rings, and Louis and I both look up at the same time in response to the sound. He picks up his phone and presses it to his ear.

"Yes? . . . yeah okay, I'll be there in a little bit . . . Bye." He hangs up the phone hurriedly. "Uh, there's some kids from Anchor High harassing some students in the back parking lot. I'll be right back. Don't. Go. Anywhere," he says to Louis and I, pointing one of his chubby fingers at us. Mr. Oliver grabs his coat off the back of his chair and leaves the classroom, slamming the door behind him.

I bite my lip and sink back into my chair, letting some some-what tense air settle in the room. I fidget with my hands nervously, twirling the silver rings around my fingers. It's completely silent and I wish I had a pin so I could drop it— just to see if it would make a sound. Well, this couldn't be more awkward. It shouldn't be awkward though. I don't even know the bloke.

I look over at him again, and he's still writing things down on his notebook. I smile and stand up from my desk, then hop over a few seats and sit down in the seat next to him.

"Hey, what're you working on?"

He looks up at me and furrows his eyebrows, still pressing the end of the pen to the paper. "Uh . . . the m-musical," he says quietly.

"You seem to be pretty dedicated to that," I comment, almost absentmindedly.

Louis bites the inside of his cheek. "Yeah, I guess," he says with no emotion.

"You don't have to be so shy, y'know? I don't bite," I insist with a gentle shrug.

Louis gives me a weak smile (which I know is fake). "I know. I'm just used to people not talking to me, you know?" he says, shrugging a little.

I run my hand through my curls, moving some brown locks out of my eyes. "Why?" I ask.

Louis scratches the back of his neck, "Uh, I don't know. Everyone thinks I'm invisible, I guess," he begins, but then scoffs. "Look who I'm talking to. You're Harry Styles, the popular football star," he says, chuckling.

"I'm not that popular."

He laughs a little. "Whatever." he mumbles. He rolls his eyes and returns his attention to writing notes down on his notebook.

"Don't ignore me," I say as I snatch the notebook away from him, and he tries to take it back, but I hold it above my head and stand up. He tries jumping for it, but I stand on my toes and raise it out of his reach.

"Harry, give it back!" he shouts in between his laughter.

I slam the notebook down on one of the desks and it opens up to a random page. I barely even get a glimpse at it before Louis grabs it away from me, but I know that it said, Alex in big, bold letters, surrounded by little, pink hearts.

Louis grabs the notebook quickly and shoves it carelessly in his messenger bag, avoiding eye contact.

"Ohh, who's Alex?" I tease.

He punches my chest lightly. "Oi, shut up, okay?" he says loudly.

"Is she your girlfriend?" I ask smiling.

He rolls his eyes. "No not exactly," he says quietly, shaking his head.

"Is she your crush?" I ask him.

Louis frowns. "Uh, yeah. Somethin' like that," he mumbles.

"So tell me, who is she?" I ask him, raising an eyebrow.

"And why would I do that?"

"We're friends, right? Well, detention buddies, I guess. I promise I won't tell anyone, okay? I want to know!" I protest, sticking out my bottom lip.

He stares at me and gives me this look, his teeth digging into his lip. He swallows bitterly and I watch his throat bob.

"Fine . . . but you have to tell me who you like, first," comes his response.

I give him a doubtful look, but he shakes his head as if to say, 'it's only fair'.

I sigh. "There's this one person. A Summer romance," I explain, not wanting to give out any more details.

"Oh, a Summer love! How cliche!"

I roll my eyes. "Yeah, yeah. Now, who's this Alex girl?" I ask him curiously.

"She's just this girl who I met a while back. We tried dating one time before but it didn't exactly work out that well," he says, staring down at his feet.

Abruptly, the door opens up, revealing Mr. Oliver. He stares at Louis and I and rolls his eyes.

"Harry, get back in your seat . . . now," he huffs.

I give Louis one last soft smile before returning to my seat on the other side of the classroom. I cross my arms over the desk and dig my head into them, waiting for detention to be over.