9

A new day rose and it started the same way as it had numerous times before. You made breakfast, read a little more of Brahms' book to him and took a little walk outside on the balcony of the grand home.

This time, you decided to take a little detour of your usual routine. The old piano in one of the rooms of the house had caught your attention more than once, so you decided to give it a go.

You began to read and memorize the notes on the sheet music in front of you, playing beautifully for all to hear. However, for very obvious reasons, you were the only one who heard it.

"I think we could teach you this one," You said to the immobile doll, peering down at him. You chuckled quietly, laid your fingers on the aged keys once more and began to pick up the tune once again.

"I didn't know you could play."

You gasped in shock and pressed a few wrong keys as a result. Turning your head, you observed Malcolm standing in the library doorway, looking worried.

"Sorry, I did knock," He said, apologetic and waving about a piece of paper in his hand.

Hurrying, you picked up the doll just as Mrs Heelshire had done a few days ago. Luckily, they were coming back in a few days and you could forget all about this.. experience.

"What are you doing here?" You accusingly asked him, locking firm eyes with him.

Malcolm frowned, "You didn't pick up your phone. So, I thought I'd make the delivery early. I can come back if you.."

Secretly, you were infuriated but was determined not to show that to Malcolm. After all, he seemed like a good guy, and you didn't want to get on his bad side already. You would be seeing him a lot, so it would be a lot better if you didn't hate each other.

You learnt that from past experience.

"I just wasn't expecting you."

A moment of silence managed to weave itself into the conversation between the pair of you. Malcolm looked at you in disbelief, as if you were insane. Maybe he thought that taking care of a doll was wrong or.. weird. It made sense, but the Heelshires gave you a task and you were going to reap your reward.

Let the guy think what he wants to.

You don't care.

"I got the mail on the way in. Are you okay?"

Caught off-guard, you stared at him with wide, doe-like eyes. What did he mean by okay?

"Yeah," You slowly responded, with a fake smile. "I am."

You couldn't see him, but Malcolm looked at you after the awkward interaction and scoffed softly, mostly because he was confused and upset.

Upset, because you stood him up.

Confused, because he couldn't find any reason why you would want to stay here and have a good night with him.