30. pressure

Kat hated the Winter Wonderland fair, she hated the whole idea of it and right now she hated Alice for suggesting it. Alice had only suggested it since they all hadn't seen each other in about a week since Christmas. Matty hated it too but didn't let on nearly as much, he figured as long as Alice was happy he could get on with it.

Kat hadn't wanted to come, she even tried to get invited to Adam's family thing that he used as an excuse not to come but he said it would 'look too suspicious' whatever that meant.

Alice was like a kid in a sweet shop, wanting to try everything there was to offer. Matty knew he couldn't reject everything so he, Ross and Tammy all went on the shitty rides while George looked after Kat.

"If there's a fucking clown I'll scream." George had his arm around her as they walked through the stalls. He let out a laugh.

"It's not the circus, you muppet." He enjoyed Kat's company and could see why Matty was initially attracted to her. She's sexy in the kick you in the balls kind of way. "Hey, did your sister mention anything about coming?" He wondered, Kat furrowed her eyebrows.

"No, she's gone out with her friend from school tonight. Why?" She asked, he shrugged.

"She mentioned yesterday that she might come." He brushed it off but Kat pressed further.

"That's weird. Why would she want to spend time with us?" She asked, he shrugged again.

"How am I supposed to know?" His hostility was noted in her mind but she let it slide.

"What ride did they go on again? They must've finished by now?" She moved the subject, George shrugged but then spotted something he knew she would hate.

"Let me win you something Kit." She didn't like when people, other than Matty, called her Kit but she allowed this this one time.

"It better be good Daniels." She threatened which made him chuckle.

She hated fair games but she had to admit, it was funny watching George try to hit the pins with the way too light balls. Every time he lost, it was like a little bit of his man pride was taken away which made him even more adamant. Eventually, he got angry and threw it so hard he knocked them all down. Kat burst out laughing as the guy revealed that the prize was a tiny penguin.

"For you, my dear." He offered it to her formally, she rolled her eyes and looked at the poorly stuffed penguin.

"You've just spent twenty quid on this, I'm honoured." She teased, he nudged her playfully which only made her giggle more.

"There they are!" An American accent that could only be Alice's called from behind. They both turned around to see the group walking towards them. Matty's eyes were noticeably squinted.

"What are you doing?" He asked, rather harshly.

"George just won me a penguin, looks like fairs do have an upside." Kat grinned, Matty looked back and forth between them and didn't smile.

"Yeah, if the upside is spending twenty quid on a piece of shit penguin." George laughed with Kat. The others found it reasonably amusing but Matty just stayed quiet.

"Well, we wanna go on the Ferris wheel. You coming?" He asked, Kat shrugged.

"Yeah, I love a good Ferris wheel." She admitted, she had a weakness for them.

When they got to the Ferris wheel, a realisation hit Matty that George and Kat were going to sit together on the seat. For some reason, that scared him a lot.

"Hey, babe. Do you mind for this ride if I go with Kat? I just need to have a quick chat with her." He asked Alice who was on her phone in the queue. Alice looked confused as she turned her head to Kat who was chatting with George and Tammy.