'Confrontation'

Edward's Car
Morning

Edward drives Bella home. He is somber. She is resigned, smugness swirling within her. "When?"

Bella answers without hesitation. "After graduation."

Edward sighs, frustrated. "Just two months."

"It'll be best for Dad that way. I can pretend to be at college somewhere. Carlisle suggested it. But..." She puts on a sad face, her lips turning into a pout. " I wish you'd be the one to change me."

He answers after a beat. "Would you be willing to trade for that?"

Bella turns away and smirks before turning back with a 'hopeful' expression. "Name it."

"Five more years as a human."

Anger enters her eyes, which Edward sees and looks to her confused but it quickly disappears so he shakes it from his thoughts. "The Volturi won't wait that long."

"I'll settle for three." He says, frustration clearly heard in his voice.

Bella shakes her head, trying to control her anger. "I won't risk it. It'll have to be Carlisle."

He takes her hand. "Why are you so willing to give up your soul? What about Athena?"

She pretends she didn't hear him talk about Athena. "Because I don't believe you've lost yours. And I want to share mine with you forever."

He looks to her. "You didn't answer abou-" Suddenly Edward slams on the brakes. The couple look and see Jacob standing in the road directly in front of them. He glares, then turns and walks into the woods.

"What is he doing?" Bella asks but believes he is there for her, smugness rising up inside her.

He answers, getting out of the car. "He wants to talk to me."

"Well, he can talk to me first." She pushes out of the car.

{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}

Woods

Edward and Bella tramp through the woods to find Jacob leaning against a tree. His expression is hard. "You're still alive."

Bella puts on a sweet smile which looks like a grimace to him. "I've been calling you."

"And I didn't pick up"

Edward looks to him, confused. "He thinks I'm the reason you've been ignoring Athena."

Jacob spins towards him, an angry expression on his face. "Stay the hell out of my head!"

She ignores the look Edward is giving her, and gives Jacob a doe eyed look. "I'm sorry I couldn't go down and see you but Dad grounded me, Jake. We're trying to get back before he wakes up."

Jacob scoffs at this. "I don't want you to visit, I want you to stop treating Athena like dirt." He growls out at the end. Bella gets frustrated at this. But Edward, deciding to ask Bella about what Jacob said later, takes a step towards him, calm and diplomatic.