Chapter Twenty-One: Sacrifice

Turns out, Legolas knew how to dance.

And by dancing, Robin meant fighting. Throwing himself forward, his blade was met with the sword of the elven prince, as quick and fluid as the air itself. They exchanged blows, each one an equal intensity to the other.

He didn't know how hard to go against the elven prince. He didn't know what the plan was-- if they were really to fight until one of them was stabbed or the bandits got bored, or if one of them was to throw the match. His mind was spinning as fast as he fought, trying to come up with a plan.

But they all ended in either his or Legolas's death. And Robin wanted to attempt to avoid both options, if possible.

Faintly, Aragorn's past words rang through his ears."If something goes wrong and we're caught, Legolas knows what to do."

Robin yanked away from the ellon's word, catching his eyes. There was a steely determination in Legolas's gaze. His stomach twisted into a knot.

Surrounding them in a ring, the camp of bandits cheered. Robin had no idea what any of them were saying, but he didn't need to understand to know it was nothing good. Faintly, he wondered who they were betting on.

It had better be him.

Whirling around Legolas's blade, he tried to side-jab, only to find his sword blocked again. Frustration built up in his chest and Robin clenched his jaw, fighting to hold his grip. Legolas was well trained.

This time, the prince pressed forward, pushing him toward the edge of the ring. Trying to figure out his moves, Robin searched his eyes.

He couldn't see anything other than the adrenaline of the fight. Cursing, he pulled away inches from the ring of spears, ducking under Legolas's blade and dodging around his back. He tried to kick out, only to find his sweep blocked. Legolas returned the gesture and the world slipped out from Robin's boots-- he hit the ground hard.

Mordor! He rolled, right as Legolas's blade sunk into the sand where he'd laid. Alarm rose in his throat and he gazed in surprise up at the ellon. "What the bloody Mordor, Greenleaf?"

The jeers and shouts rose in the air around them-- Legolas went in for the kill again, his sword driving into the ground. Robin rolled again, this time shoving himself up and stumbling away. So that was how it was gonna be? 

Fine, he could fight dirty too. Gripping his sword tighter, he whirled around. "Come on then, your highness!"

Legolas's eyes flashed. He drove forward.

Their blades met with the ringing of metal and the clashing of sparks. Legolas drove forward, face set and tight.

Robin scowled, setting his stance and shoving back. If Legolas really wanted a real fight--

"Finish the fight," the whisper was so fast, he almost thought he'd imagined it. Yanking back, Robin gazed in confusion at the ellon-- Legolas met his gaze. Nodded, ever so slightly, a faint look of fear in his eyes.

Finish the fight.

Robin blinked. What was that supposed to mean? He barely managed to dodge sideways, skimping out on Legolas's next attack. The ellon spun on his heel and drove forward again-- he was leaving obvious openings. But Robin dodged his attack again, inciting a series of boos from the onlookers.

Legolas's gaze fixed on his own, eyes blazing. Finish the fight.

"Orcish elf," Robin muttered, loosening the grip on his sword, ever so slightly. Why did he have to be honorable and heroic?!