Chapter 8: The Binding Ring

ELEANORA'S POV
I watch as Jem unbuttons his shirt to show a long cut along one pale shoulder; he looks towards me, his mouth tight, as Will draws a careful iratze below the injury. I manage a small smile at Jem.

Gabriel approaches me. "Are you alright?"

I nod slowly. "A few minor scratches. Nothing I can't handle."

Gabriel unbuttons his shirt. "Help me?"

I take out my stele—it was my mother's before me—as Gabriel reveals a deep gash at his side, on his pale white skin.

I frown. "Where did you get that from?"

I press my stele to his skin, slowly tracing the lines of an iratze. I have always been good at runes. I learn fast and learn well. 

"Blasted vampire," Gabriel growled out.

I smile up at him. "Thanks for the save earlier."

"What did I tell you about not freezing?"

I shrug, finishing up the iratze. "I'm sorry."

"Ella," Jem approaches, and I stand, sliding my stele into my pocket.

I hug Jem quickly. "I'm fine," I say.

"So am I," Jem smiles crookedly. "We should get back. Will bit de Quincey. He'll need Holy Water."

  I laugh. "Biting vampires. Very smart. They never expect it."

  Jem shakes his head. "It isn't smart. It's foolish."

  "He's Will," I roll my eyes. "He is foolishly smart."

~

  I walk out with Gabriel Lightwood, towards the carriage I am meant to take with Will and Jem.

  "Nice work in there, Herondale, setting the place on fire," Gabriel tempts Will. "Good thing we were there to clean up after you, or the whole plan would have gone down in flames, along with the shreds of your reputation."

  I cut in before Will.

  "Good choice of words there, Gabriel," I laugh softly. "'Gone down in flames.' And Liam has no such reputation to go down in shreds."

  "Indeed," Will says. "Clearly I have been doing something wrong for you to imply that, Lightwood. Or not doing something wrong, as the case may be." He bangs on the side of the carriage. "Thomas! We must away at once to the nearest brothel! I seek scandal and low companionship!"

  I laugh again as Thomas mutters something that sounds like "bosh."

  "Don't be ridiculous, Will," I say.

  "Is there anything that isn't a joke to you?" Gabriel says, eyes darkening.

  I frown. "Gabriel, we'd better get going. I'll see you soon."

  Gabriel opens his mouth to protest, but I take his hand and give it a quick squeeze, then climb into the carriage.

  Jem looks at me with a raised eyebrow as I sit across of him. "They were arguing again, I see."

  "That they were," I say. "Why didn't you tell Will that I am friends with Gabriel?"

  Jem shook his head. "Will would only hate you."

  "As if he doesn't already," I mutter.

  Jem lays a hand on mine. Scarred hands, we both have.