𝐈𝐗. BIGGEST FEARS

CHAPTER NINEBIGGEST FEARS

CHAPTER NINE
BIGGEST FEARS

§ § §

I was thrilled after leaving Potions because our next class was my favorite, Defense Against the Dark Arts. Lupin wasn't in the classroom when we arrived. We all sat, took out our supplies, and talked while we waited for him to show.

I was going to sit next to Hermione again, but a Gryffindor got there first. I sat next to Draco instead, reluctantly. Luckily before we could start bickering, the door opened and Lupin walked in.

Walking up, Lupin smiled vaguely and placed his tatty old briefcase on the teacher's desk. He was as shabby as ever but looked healthier than he had on the train, as though he had had a few square meals.

"Good afternoon," he said. "Would you please put all your books back in your bags. Today's will be a practical lesson. You will need only your wands."

Some students were confused, others, like Hermione, were disappointed. I was thrilled. We had never had a practical Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, yet somehow it still remained my favorite class.

"Right then. If you'd follow me."

Puzzled but interested, the class got to its feet and followed Professor Lupin out of the classroom. He led us along the deserted corridor and around a corner, and into a different empty classroom with no desks.

"Now, then," said Professor Lupin, beckoning the class toward the end of the room, where there was nothing but an old wardrobe where the teachers kept their spare robes. As Professor Lupin went to stand next to it, the wardrobe gave a sudden wobble, banging off the wall.

"Nothing to worry about," said Professor Lupin calmly, because a few people had jumped backward in alarm. "There's a boggart in there."

A few people did worry. "A boggart? Are you mad?" A few called out.

Lupin grinned. "Perhaps." I smiled widely. I could tell he was going to become - if not already - my favorite professor. 

Neville gave Professor Lupin a look of pure terror, and Seamus Finnigan eyed the now rattling doorknob apprehensively.

"Boggarts like dark, enclosed spaces," said Professor Lupin."Wardrobes, the gap beneath beds, the cupboards under sinks - I've even met one that had lodged itself in a grandfather clock. This one moved in yesterday afternoon, and I asked the headmaster if the staff would leave it to give my third years some practice. First thing's first, what is a boggart?"

Hermione raised her hand, and in any other class, she'd be the only one to. But since this is my favorite class with a professor that can actually teach us, unlike the other two, my hand shot up into the air as well. I felt like Hermione, my hand stretched high, eager to answer.

"Let's see, how about Miss Potter?" Lupin picked me.

"It's a shape shifter. It takes the form of the person's worst fear." I state, and Lupin nods proudly. Almost as if he knew me. But I've never met him before.