xvi

Chapter Sixteen: When Alone

And suddenly, the week was over. Saturday had arrived.

      It hadn't been very eventful, and Jeongguk only now realised how much his life had turned up-side-down after Joengyeon announced her engagement, as only now, it was kind of getting back to normal.

      His life felt bland, compared to the past weeks.

      It had never seemed to take an end, each day was the same as the last, the was no excitement to it, he never wondered what things would change from yesterday, whom he would talk to or what he would think. It was simply plain, something he had seen before and had gone through many times. The worst thing was though, that while he had nothing to do, everyone else had everything to do.

      He hadn't seen Taehyung at all, he was practising like crazy, in all of his free-periods and after school every day. During lunch, he ate with the team, sometimes talking to them about the competition, discussing techniques, the school they were competing with and other times just chatting, or hyping each other up, being together, a team.

      It wasn't that he wasn't welcome in the group, he and Jimin often sat with them and talked to them, but it bothered him because he felt that Taehyung was different with them, and he didn't know how exactly, because he was still Taehyung, still warm and funny but he was louder and he talked about things Jeongguk didn't really understand, but things the swim-team knew, and they would all laugh at a joke Jeongguk didn't get and he just felt so out of place.

      Something though that he noticed when he and Jimin sat with them at the table, was that Mina too, didn't talk much, she usually had a book in her hand, with one eye observing them, occasionally rolling her eyes discreetly when they said or did something stupid, especially when they started showing off. For the first time, Jeongguk felt they had a silent agreement, as to the fact that both of them felt that when the entire swim-team was together, it was best to stay away. After a while, she gave up on trying to act like she cared and simply stood up and left, probably to find one of her girlfriends–or perhaps a quieter place to read her book. He and Jimin decided to do the same thing, after the first day and kept to themselves for the rest of the week. Again, Jeongguk wished it was just the three of them and that Taehyung wasn't always surrounded by a crowd.

      One time, he was lucky enough to run into him alone in the halls, and then, Taehyung had given him his full attention, granted for a very short moment, before ruffling up his hair, a wide smile on his lips and then rushing off somewhere else.

      It was like trying to catch a butterfly.

      Jimin was busier too. Apart from their morning walks together, they didn't see each other much outside of school. The ballet show was coming up so he was spending more time rehearsing, but not only that, he still had his shifts at the café and a crush he was trying to pursue. So, he had asked Jeongguk if it was okay if he spent his Wednesday with Yoongi instead of him. It had, of course, been fine with him as he had hung out with him on Monday anyway and always saw him at school. He wasn't one to come in between love.