6: So Full Of Surprises

Maddie had no idea how she could have ever liked going to school

Maddie had no idea how she could have ever liked going to school. Her return to fully attending Auradon Prep and not skipping the classes she didn't enjoy had showed her how much her perception had changed.

She had gone through her morning classes and it was time for lunch, so she headed to the cafeteria, a place she hadn't been in ages. It was just as she remembered, filled to the brim with students enjoying lunch with their friends.

Maddie made her way through the lunch line, before going to a vacant table near the window. Instead of eating, she pulled out her sketchbook, turning through the pages for a blank one, and began sketching a bird that sat perched on the window sill. Maddie was so focused in making it look like what she was seeing, she didn't see the person who sat in front of her until she spoke up.

"That looks amazing." The girl said, startling Maddie. "Oh. I didn't mean to scare you."

"It's fine." Maddie said. "Thank you."

"No problem." The girl said, smiling, making Maddie realize she hadn't asked for her name.

"I'm sorry. But who are you?" Maddie asked, hesitantly fixing her headband.

"Oh. Sorry." The girl said. "I'm Crystal, daughter of Snow White."

"I'm Maddie."

"I know." Crystal said. "Audrey said to avoid you, but my mom said you should treat everyone with kindness, no matter what."

"Thanks."

"No problem." Crystal said. "Have you ever thought of taking an art class?"

"I'm not that good." Maddie said, pulling a strand of hair behind her ear.

"What? No." Crystal said. "You're amazing."

"I am?" Maddie asked, as Crystal nodded.

"You're really good." Crystal said. "Have you ever thought about joining an art class? Rapunzel is a great teacher. I have her next."

"I'm in that class." Maddie reminded, as Crystal nodded again.

"Oh yes." Crystal said. "I forgot. You can sit next to me today if you want."

"Thanks." Maddie said, watching as Ben hurriedly entered the cafeteria, scanning the crowd, before making a beeline toward the table she and Crystal were seated at. Ben sat next to Crystal, a smile on his face.

"Hi Crystal. Maddie."

"Hi Ben." Crystal said, shifting in her seat to give him more room.

"Hi Ben." Maddie said, tilting her head to the side. "What's up?"

"I've decided on my first ever proclamation." Ben said. "And I wanted you to hear it before it goes into action."

"Go ahead." Maddie said, motioning for him to continue.

"I think that the children on the Isle of the Lost should be given a second chance."

"Woah Ben." Crystal said. "I know that this is a big decision that you made that could change Auradon, but are you sure that's what you want? To have the children of our sworn enemies living among us?"

"Yes." Ben said. "Their parents of guilty of unspeakable crimes but they haven't committed anything. They deserve a fresh start."

"Okay. So who are their parents?" Maddie asked.

"Cruella De Vil....Jafar....Mother Gothel...Evil Queen and Maleficent."

"The Evil Queen?" Crystal asked, paling. "Are you serious right now?"

"I am." Ben said. "We are starting out with the ones who need the most help first then going from there."

Crystal took a deep breath.

"I guess you're right. They deserve a second chance and I shouldn't care who their parent is." Crystal conceded.

"When are they coming?" Maddie asked.

"Today." Ben informed.

"You're so full of surprises."

⇆♤♢♧♡⇋

Quinn Hearts made her way through the Isle, by jumping from roof to roof, her friend Chelsea Cat following close behind. The two remained in the shadows, looming over the crowd that had seemed to form in the market place.

Then she realized why: In the middle of it all sat a limo with the crest of Auradon. No one seemed to have any idea why it was there, but before a riot broke out among the crowd, the door to Maleficent's castle opened and Evie, Carlos, Gigi and Jay walked out carrying bags, followed by their parents.

"Bring home the gold!" yelled Jafar.
"Bring home a puppy!" urged Cruella De Vil. "Bring home a prince!" Evil Queen and Mother Gothel called. Quinn saw Uma nudge one of the henchmen, and began eavesdropping on their conversation.

"What's going on?" Uma asked. "Are they leaving?"

The henchman nodded, the envy on his face was easy to read.

"Rumor has it they're going to Auradon."

"Auradon? Why?" said Quinn, leaping off the roof and standing next to them.

"To go to school. Some kind of new proclamation or something. They've been chosen to attend Auradon Prep."

Carlos, Jay, Gigi and Evie climbed into the car.

"Is anyone else going?" Chelsea asked, just as a fifth villain kid burst through the castle doors.

The peeved-looking Mal handed her backpack to the driver, who put it in the trunk along with the others.

Quinn watched as Mal looked up to the balcony, where Maleficent raised her staff in goodbye, her green eyes blazing.

After a moment, Mal's purple head disappeared into the limousine as well. Somehow, instead of feeling glee at the sight of the five villain kids' depressed and resentful faces, Quinn only felt a spark...of envy?

Quinn had to find a way off of the Isle of the Lost. If Mal and her crew were living in Auradon, then that was the place to be—the place where Quinn needed to be. She was royalty after all.

"Sam's going to have a fit." Uma grumbled, heading back toward the direction of the Chip Shoppe.

"Ooh." Chelsea said, reappearing out of thin air, something Quinn would never get used to. "I so wanna be there to see that."

"Fine." Quinn said, leaving the thoughts of revenge in the back of her mind, a slight smirk forming on her lips. "Let's see how Sam handles the news of her beloved half-sister going to Auradon and not caring to say goodbye. Oh yes, that will be entertaining."