Chapter 11 (Beginnings) Part 1

Chapter 11

Beginnings

*Arabella*

I glance over at Derek for what feels like the hundredth time. Like all the times before, his attention is focused on the movie we're watching. We've barely spoken since the problem with Jackson earlier. Part of me feels guilty for getting mad at a situation I didn't fully understand, but the other part of me feels like I was right for calling him on his temper.

"Derek." I say quietly.

"Hm?" He replies as he keeps his eyes trained on to TV.

"Can we talk about what happened earlier?"

"What is there to talk about?"

"Everything. You can't blow up like that and expect me to not ask questions."

"I told you to forget about it."

How can he expect me to forget about something like that? The entire time Jackson was here, there was tension between them. I want to believe their behavior had something to do with what was said out in the hall, but I think it has to do with something else.

"Why won't you just tell me what's going on between the two of you? Why did you invite him over if you weren't getting along? Based on your attitude towards him today, I'd think you aren't even friends."

"Arabella, please." He pleads. "For once, just drop it."

I sigh as I stand from my spot on the couch. "Despite what you think, these secrets you've been keeping to yourself is only damaging this relationship, not helping it."

I head to our bedroom deciding to turn in a bit early. It hurts that five years down the line he's still so secretive with me. I still have unanswered questions from when we first started dating. Even during my visits to the prison he'd barely talk about himself and what was going on. He'd always bring the focus back to me. At this point I'm beginning to think he doesn't trust me enough to open up.

I pick out the clothes I plan to wear tomorrow before carrying out my nightly routine. Not long after I turn out the light and climb into bed, Derek enters the room. I hear him shuffling around the room as he gets ready for bed. I keep my back to him as I feel the bed dip slightly as he climbs in. A gentle kiss is placed on top my head before I feel him lay down beside me. I'm sure he was hoping that kiss would make me feel better, but at this point I've just about reached my limit. It's going to take more than that to fix my anger.

I wake to my alarm the next morning reluctantly get up as I wipe the sleep from my eyes. I struggle through my morning routine as I try to wake myself up. Once finished, I head to the kitchen to grab something quick. When I walk into the kitchen, my eyes open wide at the large breakfast waiting for me. A steaming pate of waffles, eggs, bacon, and coffee prepared just the way I like it. Derek sits at the kitchen table with his head down, his back moving slightly up and down as he sleeps. This is obviously another one of his methods to make me forgive him.

I gently rest my hand on his back and rub soothing circles to wake him up. He lifts his head slowly and squints up at me.

"Good morning." I say with a small smile.

"Oh, morning beautiful." He says a bit groggily as he stretches. "I made you breakfast."

"I see. Thank you for all this."