Chapter 17: Dance or Die

Kai Fanghua enters, his heart beating wildly. Through his mask, the room seemed to envelop in a shade of darkness. He sees the figures of royalty before him and he wanted nothing more than to run back out the entrance then and there. Curse you darn Crown Prince. How can you make him pretend to be the Crown p
Prince of this nation. And in front of your own mother too, the Empress!

"Ah my dear Zhihuan, you have finally arrived. Are you ready?" The Empress calls out, a smile to her voice as she stares down at her son in an astounding and fearsome outfit. This is truly surprising indeed. Zhihuan had no talent for dancing, let alone  wanting to learn, yet here he was performing a dance for the person he seemed to hate the most. Was she perhaps tricked?

They do say that the strongest of love comes first from dislike and hate. Perhaps her son really had matured and his dislike towards the princess had turned to admiration? Ah, this mother can never understand that boy. If indeed you have prepared this dance to impress the princess then your mother prays that you do not embarrass yourself.

Kai Fanghua was just about to open his mouth to reply when he quickly shuts it. Theirs no way he could reply, especially with his voice altered from his special potion, 'The voice of a singing angel.' He simply slightly nodded his head and looks at the musicians. They were still panting from the last minute notice, having ran with their instruments here. Fanghua could not afford the crown prince to lose face. He was too young to die! He didn't say anything about holding back so he will be sure to put a show to remember.

Kai Fanghua made a gesture with his hands that symbolises the dance of the fire dragon. The musicians gasped, their eyebrows almost reaching their receding hairline. The Crown Prince wanted us to play that song?! That song had one of the most difficult dances.

As the palace musicians, they knew how the prince hated to practice dancing, never really having a talent for his martial arts. In total honesty, his dancing skills was that of a child. The crown prince was known to have a big ego but come on your majesty, do not let your confidence result in you losing face, especially when performing for an important other. Alas, they were merely musicians and could not disobey his command. Shaking there heads with worry, they began to play.

The tanggu drums begin to play loudly, so loudly it was as if they were vibrating one's soul. Fanghua's closed eyes suddenly open, his nervousness and worries suddenly disappearing. He grabs the sword Zhihuan had thrown to his feet and magnificently thrusts it into the air to the beat of the tanggu drums.

He moves his body left and right, swinging the sword elegantly, as if the sword was an extension of his arm. As soon as the high pitched sounds of the suona came, Fanghua twirls his body like a gymnast, before doing an aerial midair, the sword making a perfect circle with him.

 As soon as the high pitched sounds of the suona came, Fanghua twirls his body like a gymnast, before doing an aerial midair, the sword making a perfect circle with him