53 | LONG LIVE |

"WE'RE ALL DEAD," Alec declared to himself as he surveyed the group of vampires and half breeds all gathered in the living room of the Cullen's house

Although the room was filled with gifted vampires from all over the globe, Alec knew they weren't enough. All he saw were prizes Aro could pick and choose from. Benjamin of the Egyptian coven was an obvious target—Alec had never seen a person manipulate all four elements; Zafrina of the Amazon coven, her ability to project a vision into others' minds was comparable to Alec's paralysis. Of the other animal-drinking coven of Denali, of the five, Alec predicted Aro would collect Kate for her touch of electric shock, or Faith, their newest member, for her ability to make people relive their worst nightmares.

"This is the largest gathering of allied vampires I've ever seen," Garrett retorted defensively.

"Way to be optimistic, man," Faith, the red-haired Denali scoffed. Tanya patted the new vegetarian's shoulder supportively, shooting an annoyed look at Alec.

"My armies were half this size and I conquered the south," Maria crossed her arms arrogantly. She had arrived earlier that day, aggravated she had to follow Rory's command, but she was tolerable enough. Peter and Charlotte glared at her every chance they got.

"We are not fighting the Volturi," Carlisle said sternly to the war-ready vampires.

"You still think they'll listen?" Vladimir smacked his lips together in disbelief. He traded a shocked look with Stefan.

Stefan sneered at everyone, "When Aro wants someone from a coven it's never long before evidence turns up proving that coven committed some crime. You have several people he wants, the psychic, the mind controller, even his own bloody witch twin. He won't be merciful."

"So he's done this before?" Bella turned to Alec, their primary source on the Volturi's strategies and motives.

Alec had offered to teach them all how to fight, but Carlisle turned it down on the principal that no fight would be necessary. Alec thought they were all fools, but didn't push the matter.

"It happens so rarely, but yes," Alec confirmed in a bored tone. "With Chelsea, the one who keeps the guard loyal and obedient to the Volturi. Grayson, the lie detector, belonged to the London coven before they were found 'enslaving' werewolves. And with Demetri. You think World War I was a coincidence?"

Eleazer gasped in shock. "I never realized it was a pattern."

"Apparently he always pardons one person whose thoughts he claims are repentant," Edward said sourly. "This person always has an ability. And they're always given a place with the Guard." He looked at Alec, who nodded in confirmation.