16. Facade

16. Facade

"Good morning, sir, I am the Autonomously Intelligent Fixed Artillery, and artificial intelligence sent under orders from the National Security to establish efforts in the assassination attempts of the Unidentified Slimy Octopus, also known as 'Korosensei' among the students in this satellite branch of Kunugigaoka Junior High."

Naomasa could literally do nothing but stare with a deadpan expression.

He had stayed over at campus, getting some late work done and getting a nap in the lab. Passing through to the lavatory, he had come to meet this transfer student for the first time this life.

He didn't remember Ritsu being this talkative. Or maybe it was the overload of long vocabulary that blew him away, but he really couldn't tell the girl she'd lost him at 'sir'.

She had that poker-faced smile, a programmed emptiness in her eyes. 

Her hair, that crisp, mauve shade of violet-- a rather pleasing sight around the gray of their uniforms. A little splash of colour right where we needed it.

"So," he had to take a moment to recall the full name and hoped he got it right, "Autonomously Intelligent Fixed Artillery," he smiled, "I'm the Japanese Teacher, Kunomasu. I'm pleased to meet you."

In the lone classroom at the crack of dawn, the two made each other strange impressions, and parted right after.

They didn't ask anything-- not why the teacher was there, not why the student was a computer-- neither asked each other anything. They exchanged names, but neither addressed the other directly. After the greeting made out of purely politeness, they failed to find conversation.

Simply sitting down on Hara's desk and looking out the window, they watched the sun rise in silence.

  ー  

"Good morning-- oops,"

Irina stepped into the staffroom for half a moment, looked in, saw a shirtless Nao, and instinctively pulled the door back to shut it.

"Ah-" Nao fumbled, "sorry."

He had pulled off his sweaty shirt-- he'd slept in it-- and was ready to put on a new one, but first, he needed a towel to wipe off his sweat--

"That's an incredible birthmark," Irina spoke up.

She had been standing at the door, absent-mindedly watching with interest.

Nao, turning to her, smiled back nervously. He wasn't too bothered, after all he was a man and being shirtless isn't something scandalous-- he looked down, to the skin on his chest, a pearly white shade gleaming a strange contrast against his naturally peachy skin.