Chapter 83: Into The Light

"Hey, guys. It's update time." Sam sighs heavily. "It's not looking good, unfortunately."

"Oh, God," Maxine gasps. "Is everyone okay?"

"We're all fine. Um, that's kind of the problem. There hasn't been any attack from New Canton for almost two days  now. At first we were like, 'Yay, no attacks!', but-but then Janine went outside, which, totally stupid, but she went right up to their emplacements, and there was nobody in them. There was nobody anywhere. Moonchild pulled her whole force back."

"Where have they gone?" Maxine asks.

"Well, the day before, there was this massed attack by fast zoms. Some of them got inside the compound. We're just glad no one died at the time, but we think it made Moonchild realize the ZRD was gone, and now she'll be hunting you with everything she's got."

"I don't think she's found us yet."

"Yeah. Great, but the thing is, she knows where you're going-Comansys Tower. Janine says we have to get an edge on her. We're hoping Moonchild's family is a weak spot."

"I remember her speaking about her dad a lot," I pipe up. "She said he encouraged her to expand her education, keep going in her studies and all that."

"Yeah. From a photo album, we think we've pinpointed the house she grew up in. It's in Archway, which is pretty close to where you are now."

"You want us to go there on our way and see what we can find," Maxine says. It's not a guess nor a question.

"Yeah."

"And what if she's guarding it? What if that's how she finds us?"

Sam sighs. "I know. I know it's a risk, but I think you've got to take it. And you've got Tony and his resistance to help you in London. Archway's down that main road, past the church. Now run."

I purse my lips, but don't give any comment on the subject. It's a risk, yes, but what worries me is what will happen if we die? The thought of me dying is scary, but I take that risk every time I leave Abel's walls. If we die though, what happens to the rest of humanity?

Maxine and I are the only people in the world that are immune to mind control (besides the women in the prison). If we die, then they'll have to send someone else, but by then Moonchild will have the ZRD. This is a huge risk, and if we get caught, everything is lost.

There are shamblers all around, but we're quick to evade them. It's better to not be seen than to outrun them after being spotted. If they start moaning more after spotting us, they could attract more zombies or alert Moonchild's guards that we're here, if Moonchild does have any guards around here. I'm not completely sure, but I really don't want to find out.

So we continue running, our steps quiet on the concrete road that looks far too familiar for my liking. With the dead trees and quiet snow all around, this place feels almost peaceful, but the odd feeling of familiarity keeps it from being so. I can't help but think maybe I came here while under Moonchild's control.

I grab at my backpack strap, staying silent while I survey my surroundings. I can feel Maxine's eyes on me. I know what she's thinking, but I won't tell her. I won't tell her how I feel as if I've been here before, as if I know this place. No, I can't think on that. I can't think on what she might have had me do...

I have to stay focused on the mission. I have to stay focused on staying alive and completing the task at hand.

The moans are starting to fade out now, meaning we're reaching a small area where there are no shamblers, fortunately. Trying to keep our steps silent is hard when there's snow everywhere, but I find when I look back that we there's still something following after us.