{33} I HANG WITH A PRANKSTER {33}

The drive to Camp Half-Blood took about two hours, but it didn't feel that long. My mom had my favorite music playing, mostly some of Green Day's classic songs, as well as a bit of Blink-182. A smile was lingering on my lips, and I was putting all thoughts of my feelings out of my mind. Those were to be dealt with during long nights when I couldn't sleep, not during fun car rides with Mom.

When we finally rolled into Montauk, I breathed in the fresh scent of the sea through the open window. I relaxed into the seat of the car.

"You excited?" Mom asked.

I nodded. "Definitely. It should be fun."

She smiled. "Good. I'm going to miss you, but I know you'll have a good time."

She pulled over to a small pathway with a flimsy sign that said "CHB: THAT WAY" with an arrow directing us to the trail. The path led up a big hill with a huge pine tree at the top. We got out of the car and I tugged my bag from the trunk.

"This is where we part," Mom breathed out.

I leaned closer and hugged her. "I love you, Mom. See you soon."

"Love you too, Perce. Good bye."

I grinned, trekking up the hill. As soon as I passed the pine tree I felt like I was transported into another world. The air was warm and smelt of strawberries. I could hear the excited squeals of young kids, as well as laughter.

I looked over my shoulder and saw my mom still standing by the car, staring at me. I waved, and she waved back, before sadly climbing in the car and driving away.

I continued marching, down the hill that time, and used the signs scattered around as reference. One said that the cabins and dining pavilion were to my left, the arena and archery range were to my right, and the Big House was just past that. I decided that I should head to the Big House, seeing as that sounded like a place where the officials were.

The Big House was a huge three story farm house, painted baby blue with white trim detailing the windows and framework. It had a large wrap-around deck that had a table and a few lounge chairs on it.

I marched up the front stairs and stepped inside. There was a desk, and seated behind it was a familiar face.

"Katie?"

She giggled. "That's me. What's up, Percy?

Katie Gardner was a small girl with long brown hair and grassy green eyes. She was the head of the gardening club, and also partook in cooking club. She was one year above me, in the same grade as Travis Stoll. They had a love/hate relationship, and I can't say I'm not to blame for that. I may or may not have helped the Stoll brothers prank her once or twice. Don't give me that look! I played a minor part, all right?

I smiled warily. "Hey. I'm here to join the camp for the rest of summer. You...work here?"

She bit her lip. "Kind of. The older campers rotate through the different jobs. You can direct one of the activities with another Senior Camper, or help out here at the Big House, or even assist at the infirmary. So, you need to get signed in?"

I shrugged. "I don't know, you tell me."

Katie laughed. "Okay. First, just sign this sheet so that we 'know you're here.' Then fill out this short questionnaire so that we know where to place you."

"Huh?"

"We base where you stay in your downtime off of your likes and dislikes. Each cabin is derived from one of the twelve Olympians, and what they did. You participate in activities with your cabin mates, eat with them, and sleep with them," she explained as I signed the first form.