♕ ten

"ashton? ashton darling please wake up."

ashton's eyes slowly opened, immediately shutting them when a bright light hit his eyes. he heard a mumbled apology and then he opened his eyes once again. the light was gone, and he soon realized he was in a room. more specifically, calum's room.

shit.

"are you okay?" the prince asked, ringing water out of a rag.

ashton didn't respond and stood up from the comfortable bed. he lost his balance, stumbling in his steps but calum caught him and laid him back down. "woah, take it easy."

ashton shook his head. he needed to get out of here before he was seen. he did not want to die, as much as he said he wanted to, just now is not the time. now that he knows that queen irwin is his mother, he has hope that he'll be found and taken back to where he belongs.

ashton tried getting up from the bed again, but calum forcefully laid him down once more and pinned down his arms. "do not get back up." he said sternly.

ashton's breath caught in his throat. calum's face was very close to his, not only that but he was pinned down as well. if that doesn't make you stop breathing for a second ashton doesn't know what will.

they stayed in that position for a few more seconds until calum released his arms and grabbed the damp rag. he placed it on top of ashton's forehead and sighed. "father said you fell down the steps but i don't believe it."

ashton didn't say anything. he feels like if he were seen talking to calum that he would be in even more trouble. calum didn't take the hint though, only continuing to talk and finally ashton had enough. he stood up from the bed and threw the rag on the floor.

calum grabbed his arm and gave him a confused but stern look. "where are you going? you aren't well enough-"

"leave me alone. do not talk to me ever again, yet see me ever again."

calum's face softened. "ash, if this is about what-"

"i mean it, your highness." but no, ashton didn't mean it.

calum's face fell, and ashton wished he could make the boy smile again, or look happy. "w-why? what is going on?"

"nothing happened. i wish to never speak to you again. you are getting married soon, and we can not continue speaking or seeing each other on terms like this. i could be killed, calum." ashton said, his voice surprisingly strong even though ever word he said hurt him.

calum shook his head. "that does not mean anything. i-i could not live with myself if we couldn't see each other anymore."

ashton swallowed the lump in his throat. he hated to see calum so confused and hurt, but the prince doesn't know half of the things that just happened, or are going to happen. calum would be even more broken if he were killed, that's why ashton is pushing them away now. no more risks, he could not do that to calum.

"then i guess you will have to. goodbye calum." he whispered, leaving the room.

calum didn't know how to feel. he was hurt, confused, and angry. why was ashton acting like this? is there something he did wrong? was something else said?

maybe he found out you love him.

calum shook his head and sat down on his bed. no, ashton couldn't know that. he kept it well hidden, right? he is sure that others would know if ashton found out. calum isn't the greatest at hiding his feelings at all, cue why he's silently crying into his hands wondering where he went wrong to lose ashton.

♕ ♕ ♕ ♕

poor baby :-(

i'm thinking about ending this on fifteen chapters. we're getting very close to the end and i'm so ready to see ya'll reactions on the last chapter sksks