*42*

"Styles, there you are," my father says sternly.

Harry fumbles and pulls his jacket back on as if to hide any visible indiscretions from the lift ride.  I wonder briefly if his emotions are written on his face like mine probably are, my eyes still glistening from fallen tears but before I can worry too much my father slaps a hand on Harry's back.

"Alexa, join us," Dad mumbles out of obligation yet doesn't bother looking at me as he walks towards his office, taking a seat at his temporary desk.

His office is not as grand or intimidating as his usual one and for the first time in my life, I think he looks like such a small man; a small man whom I want to be nothing like.

Harry and I stand side by side, waiting for whatever instruction, laced in insensitivity, I know is about to come barking out of my dad's mouth and I mentally prepare myself to not take it to heart.

"Harry, I've brought you in to lead the Manor Precinct Project," he announces to both of us without actually addressing me.

I made Harry believe I had no idea what the project was that he mentioned earlier, but I knew exactly the one he was talking about; Three times bigger than anything else we have ever attempted, a huge precinct of new luxury housing and amenity.  It was an incredible opportunity and one I had initially begged for when we first obtained the permits.

"Alexa, you are assigned to the project with Harry."

My eyes widen, shocked he would give me the chance to play such a big part in this after the year we have had, my father taking almost every responsibility I had away from me, telling the board I was no longer, "mentally capable."

The feeling of gratitude and excitement is short-lived when he adds, "You will be reporting to Mr Styles and assisting with any admin he may need."

"ADMIN?" Harry and I shout together, before he steals a glance in my direction but straightens up immediately, realising he may be overstepping the boundaries with his new boss.

"Sir, with all due respect, surely Alexa's time is more valuable than that? Wouldn't she be more suited to working on something more important?" Harry steps up for me and I sigh, although I am appreciative, I know there is no use in arguing about this.

"No, she wouldn't actually," my father barks.

"I'm sure Ms Patterson and I could work together, as equals, I feel like I could learn a lot from her. I'm sorry, I just don't understa-" Harry tries again and I close my eyes when my father cuts him off with his palms slamming on the desk, the noise startling me and echoing through the room.

If Harry was any less confident of a man I'm sure he would have jumped but he remains rock solid.

"Mr Styles, where my staff are placed is none of your concern. You are employed to get a job done, now if you can't do that with the instructions I give you, then I suggest you leave now."

I can see Harry's fists clench out of the corner of my eye, and I'm not sure what comes over me, but I don't want Harry to lose this job because of me. 

Selfishly, I'm also scared that if he left, America would come calling again and I would rather be filing documents for the rest of my life than have that happen.

"Harry, it's fine. I'm happy to do it," I lie and Harry looks at me with both confusion and a hint of disgust for the situation, his disappointment in me for conceding to this demoted position and being treated in this way, clear on his face and it kicks me in the chest.

"Good," Dad snarls and moves around his desk towards the door.

"Let me show you to your new office," he says and Harry's eyes drop down to his feet not sure what to do before he looks at me and I try and keep my face as impassive as I can although my insides are screaming.