Focus: Writing AUs... Fairy Tail Style!

Writing AUs: Fairy Tail Style!
by TheFairyHunter

The art of writing fanfiction is a complicated process, but this does not stop the relentless fanfic writers of the Fairy Tail fandom. Although there are many ways a story can go wrong, there are just as many ways to craft the perfect book. Varied approaches to writing fanfiction lead to a plethora of subcategories- among them is one called "alternate universe."

What is an AU?

The acronym AU is short for "alternate universe" and is used to describe fanfiction in which the writer changes one or more elements of the source work's canon. (The word "canon" refers to something that is officially part of the story.)

There are two overarching types of AU: contextual reassignment and "what-if."

1. Contextual Reassignment

a. Familiar Contextual Reassignment;

• When characters are taken out of their world and placed in a setting that is fairly familiar to the author and readers. A popular example you have most likely seen in Fairy Tail fanfiction is the "high school AU." The majority of readers on Wattpad have experienced high school (unfortunately), and the few that have not are still aware of the environment.

• Stories in this category are often based on real-life experiences, making them more realistic and relatable.

b. Unfamiliar Contextual Reassignment;

• When characters are taken out of their world and placed in a setting that is typically foreign or unfamiliar to readers. Examples of this would be a "prison AU" or "space AU." They would be classified as such because it is highly likely neither the reader nor the author has experienced traveling to such a place. Although this trope is less common than the Familiar Contextual Reassignment, it is still prevalent in fanfiction.

• Stories in this category are often written based on research done beforehand. This is a crucial part of the planning process which will be further explained later on. Without proper research, fanfic in this category can go horribly wrong.

2. What If?

a. Alternate History

• When the timeline of a certain character or a single event of the canon story is changed. Writing a fic in which Fairy Tail lost the Grand Magic Games could be considered Alternate History. However, as a writer, it is important not to abuse the "alternate history" aspect of AU. If too much is changed, the reader may become confused.

b. Character Facets

• Similar to Alternate History, Character Facets deals with changing a single event of the canon story. However, it focuses on an individual character and alters their environment, childhood, or personality. What if Erza never left the Tower Heaven? What if Jellal was never possessed as a child? These "what-if" scenarios can be classified as different "Character Facet AUs."

As a writer, deciding what sort of AU you want to write is important. Nonetheless, do not become too hung up on a single subcategory of AU. Ultimately, you are the writer- there is never a reason to strictly follow one of the categories listed above. The best stories are those that remain fluid, open-minded, and unique.