The Newt Year (Bonus Chapter)

Eleven fifteen on December 31st, 1926. Fast forward almost a hundred years and there I am, the author; trying to get over writer's block while I watch the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. My only plan is to stay up till midnight for the first time ever on New Years and write this little story. Oh, and tea—I can't forget to mention the tea.

But back to forty-five minutes until 1927. Well, forty-four now, but that's beside the point. And Credence Kegley—who has had such a last name as of five days ago (mostly because the legal section in MACUSA was closed for Christmas)—has a plan. That his new, not-so-human siblings may have had some hand in.

Speaking of which, Noctis had snuck into Newt's case, and subsequently, his basement, and further still, his bedroom. It was all part of the plan, the small fire, however, was not. So, Newt Scamander woke up to the smell of smoke at eleven twenty-one on December 31st, 1926.

And at this point my mind is going a million miles an hour because it's 1:12 in the morning and I really should be asleep, but I'm passed the point of tired and on to the point in which I'm writing so fast I can barely hear the television. Back to Newt, he was busy smothering the fire with the blanket, eyes wide as Noctis blinked up at him. As soon as the fire was out, the other two Ignis loquitur pounced as Newt scolded the littlest of them. Aurum grabbed one of his sleeves, while Noctis took the cuff of his sleep pants. They began dragging him towards the case, then the door, where on the other side, Credence was still hesitating to wake his mother.

Eleven forty-six and Credence hovered outside of Myra's door, and after near thirty minutes of hesitation, he knocked. He paused, waiting for any sign of life, not sure if he'd knocked loud enough. Two minutes more until he knocked again or three? He went ahead and knocked at two, he couldn't waste the extra minute. It was on knock three that Myra opened the door, bleary eyed at eleven fifty-one.

"Credence?" the blonde asked, hair frizzy and tangled, "What's the matter?"

"Mr. Scamander said he wanted to meet you in his case," Credence lied, only through what had to have been at least ten practice rounds in the mirror.

A few sleepy blinks later, Myra mumbled, "Alright. Let me just get my robe."

Credence followed Myra through the door to Newt's case, eleven fifty-seven, "Over here," he whispered to her, leading her over to where Frank had once lived, the once thunderous sky now filled with the starlight of what could be the skyscape of either London or New York.

In the middle of the room, Newt stood looking around in confusion as all of his creatures surrounded him in a circle. Myra joined him, at which time, the baby occamys that she'd once protected with her life flew up into the air, seeming to form numbers.

The pair looked at eachother, both seeming to still be half asleep as the occamys counted down. 30 more seconds until the new year.

"Hi," Myra smiled up at her Echo, "You're up too?"

"Just Noctis, nothing I couldn't handle," Newt grinned back at her, his head tilted softly.

5 seconds until 1927. Then four. Then three. Then two. Then...

"Happy New Year," Myra smiled, going up on her toes to kiss him.

"Happy New Year," Newt smiled into the kiss—their first of the year.

And now I ship it. I mean, I kind of have to, but still. Cuteness for a start of the new year. 

I tried something new. I hope it's not terrible. I just kind of added in my thoughts throughout, it did work to get me over a lot of my writer's block. The basic idea for this was from a comment from @Lordderp2, but I decided to do New Year's instead of Christmas because I did Christmas last year. I hope you enjoyed my ramble-y little bonus chapter. I hope that you all have a fantastic newt year (I actually only made that mistake once (and this time doesn't count, it was on purpose)) full of happiness and good luck. Have a great day and thank you for reading, 
~ Aria