Posting methods

Method of Madness – Publishing Your Story
by arrow_to_the_heart

If you've read the title, you might be wondering why it's worded as such. No, this does not mean the person who is writing this is insane (writing a lot of fanfiction may qualify me, though). This does not mean that you will become insane by the end of this article either. If anything, this will hopefully keep you away from madness.

While this doesn't exactly pertain to fanfic itself, it still holds relevance. This will provide you with some insight that will help you should you choose to be around Wattpad for years to come, and should you choose to continue reading this.

Let's set the scene, shall we?

You've got your story idea in mind. Your outline is constructed, from OC (original character for those not familiar with the fanfic term), to plot, hell to music and gifs you can use in chapters. (All these are a great foundation to help guide you when you officially start writing or if you get stuck at a certain point.)

You've written some parts of your book that may come later, but inspiration hit you early so you wrote them out before you lost them (this also helps, especially if the pieces fit with where you're currently at in your idea). You may have even reached out to a graphic designer for a cover or made one yourself if you are creatively inclined. You're super excited to get this thing rolling – better to act while the inspiration is still fresh!

The plot twist in all this? This is the first story you've ever written, and you've thought about showing it to the Wattpad world.

In all of this, there is one thing that hasn't been considered yet: how to go about posting to the website. It's not the first thing an author thinks of when it comes to their story; they want to build the skeleton of their idea first and then start adding the meat to it.

Believe it or not, publishing on Wattpad can affect a story, depending on what the author chooses to do. More on that later.

Do you feel like the first-timer, with those nerves twisting your stomach uncomfortably at the thought of strangers reading your work? If you were that author once, then you've most certainly felt it. If you're that writer now, you feel it.

I, like many here, were once in that same position. If you've never had someone outside of friends or family read your work, it can be very intimidating. Getting feedback from people around the world via the Internet is a risky business. You know what kind of feedback you're aiming for, but you are also aware of what kind you may receive instead.

Okay, Prim, you say, get to the damn point. Enough with setting the scene, no going on rants or rambles, let's get to the real meat of this.

Trust me, we're getting there. Have patience, young Padawan. (No, I do not consider myself a Master of fanfic. I just wanted to make that reference – and if you understood it, thank you. I appreciate you, Star Wars fandom.)

For those who are a bit gun-shy about publishing their first story, keep reading. Don't worry, this article isn't going to bite – this is to help you, not hinder. I am about to tell you about a method that has really worked for me. It may just work for you, too. I don't expect any thanks if this turns out to be for you, but it is appreciated all the same.

To me, there are two types of people when it comes to publishing your story. Let's call these type A and B – this may be the best way to categorize them. Just who are these people, do you ask?

Type A: The author who updates the story as they are writing it.

Type B: The author who spends their time writing out the full story prior to publishing.