14 - The constellation of Cepheus

I sit on my bed and my fingers are slightly shaking when I open the gift. My heart stops for a little moment when I see what's inside.

I get out a navy book, brand new. 'Astronomy, a new universe' is etched on the cover in gold, along with little stars and the constellation of Sagittarius and I believe Aquarius.

My hand shakes and a tear runs down my cheek. An astronomy book. Memories starts flashing in front of my eyes and I can't keep my breathing under control. I always used to tell him little astronomy facts when we were up the Tower. The Astronomy Tower sure has served that name. There's no better place to look at the stars. I'd point out Ursa Major and Cassiopeia and a bunch of other constellations. He could point out the Polar star and one constellation. Draco, the one his mom taught him when he was just a little kid. It made him feel special, he said.

I see an envelope tucked between the pages and I open the book with shaking hands. A black envelope slips out and falls onto my lap. It wasn't between the pages of Draco, nor the Polar star. It was on the page of Cepheus, my favourite constellation. Draco had asked me why one night, and I told him the story of Cepheus and Cassiopeia and their daughter Andromeda. How I loved it because it linked hundreds of stories to this one myth. The story of Andromeda, and Poseidon and Amphitrite, the story about Perseus and Medusa and many more. I loved Greek Mythology and constellations had a very strong link with those stories. I think I talked for an hour and it probably wasn't very interesting, but Draco listened anyway.

Tears are running down my cheek uncontrollably. Why? Why did he send me this? And why something that he knows will have a huge effect on me? Why something that shows that he cares, after he just said he didn't?

I take the letter and run outside. I hear my name, but I have to get out for a while. I grab my coat and run out the door. My feet hit the snow and I run to the park opposite of the row of houses, the letter still clenched firmly in my hand.

My breathing is heavy and I have to stop for a while to calm down. I'd rather not faint from a panic attack. I drop down on a bench and lean backwards, the crisp winter breeze hitting my skin. I sit there for a bit until my breathing has calmed down. I have to read it. With shaking hands I open the envelope. It's a simple piece of parchment. No crest to be found. Draco sent me a letter with a stamp with the Malfoy Crest onto it once. I told him that I hated it. It says Sanctimonia Vincet Semper, meaning Purity Will Always Conquer. He never used that crest after that when writing to me. He cared. I unfold the piece of parchment. His handwriting is extremely neat, without scribbles or ink smudges. I start to read.

Dear Y/N

You were right all this time. I'm an arrogant arse and an egocentric git. Annoying and stupid. I'm most definitely stupid.

First of all I want to apologise. There's no real excuse for my behaviour. Everything I said that night, it's not true and I need you to know that. I do like you, very much so. And you're not stupid nor naive. You're the cleverest witch that I have ever met. You're witty and smart, yet thoughtful and sweet. Something I never knew I needed.

And I was a coward. That day that everything went down, I got a letter from my dad. Pansy had informed my family that we were getting close. And this drove my dad crazy. I believe I've told you this once, but the Malfoy family is part of the Sacred Twenty-Eight, a stupid bunch of pureblood families. I've been raised with the idea that we must continue our pure bloodline. That those who aren't purebloods are less worthy than us. Quite frankly, that's what I've believed for a very long time as well. I'm not proud of it, but it is what it is.

Dating someone who isn't pureblood would be a disgrace to my family, so when my dad found out he sent me that letter, forbidding me to associate myself with you. He threatened me that he would hurt both me and you if he found out I wasn't obeying him.

That's truly why I did it, because I don't want you to get hurt. Just the way I did it was very disrespectful and I apologise for that. I had the best time with you, no matter your blood status.

The holidays haven't been great. My dad is still furious, even though I have obeyed him. He wants me to date Pansy bloody Parkinson, Merlin's beard save me.

My mum has been a lot more encouraging though. She saw that I wasn't feeling great, so after a while I opened up to her. She told me that she understood me, and that I should write you.

I'm not sure if it'll change anything in the future, since my dad will never not want that pure bloodline, but I just want you to know that I do care about you.

In the back of my mind I always knew that they wouldn't allow it, and I don't think I realised how serious it was getting until it was too late. So we'll see, I guess. I'm pretty sure I can't stay away from you anyway.

I really hope you can forgive me and that you're enjoying your holidays. I look forward to seeing you again.

Love, Draco

PS. Hope you like the book I sent you. You've got me hooked on Greek mythology ever since. ;)

That's when I break down and cry.