Chapter Nineteen

Everything seems normal. Which means things are about to become terrifying. Mary and John have returned from their vacation, happily so. Mary seems more relaxed and happier. After all, this was her first official long vacation since John had started building Kingstone Co. The party arrangements are going according to the plan. Mary was thrilled when she heard we are hosting our first social party as a couple. In her mind, she assumes we are a happy couple who has been enjoying their time alone until now.

Strangely enough, Ethan has been coming home these past three days every night. We actually end up eating dinner like normal people. Without quarreling or glaring. But I can sense that something is off. He seems upset but doesn't let it on. In his eyes, I can see trouble. I hope it's not about the company.

Starting Monday, I return to set to shoot the rest of the movie. The pact back to back shooting session allows the editors to edit the movie and analyze it in case there are any re-shoots.

I kind of dread this party. Not that I fear something might go wrong, but because this is my first formal party with his friends. It doesn't matter that they might not be the same friends from nine years ago; they are still his friends whom he's been trying to hide me from them.

The day finally arrives and I can't help how nervous I feel. I wake up earlier in the morning. I start sweeping through the rooms, making sure everything is normal and clean. The house staff will arrive at ten. I have about four hours to make sure everything is in order. That also gives me enough time to make breakfast for Ethan and me.

Of course, Ethan has beaten me and is already out of the house. How do I know? I check his room. His clothes are on the bed, which means he will be back shortly. Perhaps, he's gone out for an early run. Wait, he got those clothes from the clothes in our bedroom. Does that mean he saw that I slept half naked last night? I usually take off my nightdress when it's too hot.

Shake it off, Evelyn; you have a lot to do. Once I check every bedroom and bathroom and make sure only one bedroom and two bathrooms are open for use, I make my way downstairs to make breakfast.

I put together a few pancakes and make a fresh bowl of fruits. I notice Ethan drinks his coffee medium roast with no cream or sugar. So, I made exactly like that. Just as I'm putting his coffee down, he appears through the hallway. He's wearing a shirt and shorts, which is slightly sweaty from the run he had. He unplugs his earphones and sits down.

"Thanks," he only murmurs. I nod.

At around ten, the staff arrives. I give them tasks to get done right at four. Our guests will arrive at five to six. So that should give me enough time to dress and get ready. Why am I so nervous? As promised, Tia also shows up at twelve, just as the party supplier arrives with items she ordered online. They set up tables ready for catering. I empty a large portion of the fridge to put the beers in. Around noon, I check the backyard. Tables and chairs are set up. The pool water is changed and is clean. Ali, our gardener, has done a great job trimming and treating the bushes and flowers.

"The garden looks great, Ali. Thank you." He stands proudly with his gardening shovel still in his hand. "Oh, and do you mind just checking to make sure the fire pit is working. I don't think we might need but just—"

"Don't worry ma'am, I have already taken care of that."

Juliette puts plates, napkins, and glasses on the tables. Since we got catering, she goes to help Kim and George clean around the house. Ethan has been staying in his office the whole time. Not to disturb the crew, he takes his lunch in his office. I wonder if he's doing this so he can avoid me. In any case, I am too busy with the arrangements to mind that.