Chapter twenty three: Zira's point of view

(sorry for the huge time jump. There was just no more of Zira's story to tell until this moment. I hope you guys are still enjoying the story, though.)

Zira refused to leave Scar's side. She refused to believe it. It all seemed to happen so fast. First, Simba came home. Simba, the cub whom Zira and the others had thought to be dead, had returned home. And he had grown into a strong lion. Nala really had brought home good help.

Afterwards, he started to threaten Scar. Scar refused to back down. Zira should have seen it coming. Scar said it. The secret that Zira had kept for him for such a long time. He exclaimed to the pride,

"I killed Mufasa!!!!" Then, it was chaos. Lionesses against hyenas. Rafiki even defended himself with his stick. Zira was so busy fighting a hyena that she didn't notice Scar trying to run away from it all. But she did notice when Simba followed her mate away from everyone else.

She quickly got to her feet and sprinted after both of them. Then she remembered. Vitani. Kovu. Nuka. They were all inside pride rock. She skidded to a stop and quickly turned around, running back towards the commotion and through it all. Lionesses thrashed. Hyenas pounced. Zira wound her way through the bunch, trying to get to the cave. Eventually, she did make it, and started to look around frantically. The pridelands began to catch on fire. She looked around faster, every breath she took filled her lungs with smoke. She found a lioness surrounded by hyenas, and was shocked. Nuka was hiding behind the lioness, Vitani clinging to one of her paws. Kovu was trying to stand up for his siblings, but the lioness kept sweeping him closer to her with her paw. The smoke made Zira's eyes water. She couldn't see who the lioness was.

Zira made her way towards the pack of hyenas, barreling into them, batting them away with her claws and teeth bared

Zira made her way towards the pack of hyenas, barreling into them, batting them away with her claws and teeth bared. Her cubs hid behind the lioness, safe from harm, as Zira defended her cubs. When the hyenas raced out of the cave, barking, Zira turned to face her cubs and their rescuer. She couldn't believe who she was seeing.

Sarabi smiled. "I believe these belong to you." She gestured to the cubs, who were running towards Zira already, climbing onto her and grabbing her paws for protection.

"Thank you, Sarabi." Zira answered with a smile. She then heard a loud thud. The smoke was rising, she couldn't see two feet in front of her!!! She then heard Scar pleading to someone, or more than one animal. She then heard his screaming, and then...it started to rain.

The rain poured down, drowning the fire and supplying the pridelands with fresh water. The smoke cleared, and Zira quickly picked up both Vitani and Kovu by their scruffs and raced out of the cave, Nuka following close behind.

She knew that he was gone when she first saw him. He was badly hurt, his pelt muddied with dried blood. His eyes were closed, and he wasn't moving. Zira set down the cubs and threw herself onto him, sobbing. Nuka soon came after, placing his paws on his father's arm. Zira looked up at the sky as the rain drenched her coat.

"I swear, Scar." She said. "Your life will not go to waste. I will raise Kovu to be king. I will avenge you." She looked down at Kovu. "For I feel pain...but no more guilt. I feel sadness...but more than that, anger." She looked back up to the sky. "I know that this is not my fault. I will make it right for you." She picked up the cubs again and motioned for Nuka to follow her. "Someday very soon."

(So, this is around the time that Zira is almost full-blown evil

(So, this is around the time that Zira is almost full-blown evil. She still has some good in her, just enough to keep her from leaving the pridelands for now. But with the death of her mate, Zira now has three cubs to raise...but this is only the beginning of Zira's story. There's so much more to tell. Please let me know what you guys think about this so far. I love to hear from others, and I'd love to hear ideas that you all may have for what happens next. Love you guys!!!)