Ch. 1

The steady rhythm of the train was very relaxing for Hermione, who was sharing a compartment with Ginny. Ginny was already writing a letter to Harry, which Hermione thought was a bit early but didn't judge her friend.

Ginny and Harry were practically inseparable after the battle, spending as much time as they could with each other before both he and Ron left for Auror training. Hermione and Ron also started their relationship, though theirs was much more understated than Ginny and Harry's. Hermione didn't mind though; she was never really one for constant affection and touching. Ron would try every once in a while though to have a snogging session but Hermione was just never fully into it. She didn't want to admit it, but she was somewhat relieved when their training had started in the middle of July.

Hermione looked over at her friend to find the red head staring out the window, her pen tapping quietly on the page. Hermione smiled and asked, "Stuck?"

Ginny looked over and smiled in return. "A little bit. It's so weird with them not here."

"Yeah, it's going to be very different," Hermione sighed. "Maybe now at least everyone will be able to have a proper school year."

Ginny laughed at that. "We'll see; something's bound to happen though."

"Well let's hope whatever does happen isn't anything bad," Hermione muttered.

They were silent for a little while longer until Ginny sighed and put her letter to the side. "I'll have to finish that later. How are your parents, by the way?"

"They're doing great," Hermione smiled. Shortly after the boys left for training, Hermione left to go to Australia to find her parents. They had settled down and Hermione was able to find them easily after about a week, and after undoing the memory charm she had placed on them she stayed there for another month. "Last I heard from them, they were planning a trip to Europe."

"That's good!" Ginny grinned. "I take it they're still trying to travel everywhere?"

Hermione nodded. "They've always wanted to just pack up and go somewhere new. I might join them for a few of their trips after we graduate."

"Speaking of graduating..." Ginny shifted in her seat, pulling her legs up to cross them. "What are you planning on doing after we leave Hogwarts?"

Shrugging, Hermione looked out the window and said, "I'm honestly not sure yet. I definitely don't want to be an Auror though. Maybe a Healer, or working in the Ministry."

"What about going back as a professor?" Ginny suggested. "You could easily do that and I'm sure McGonagall would love to have you back."

Hermione laughed at that. "Maybe; I'm not sure what I would teach though."

"You could always get McGonagall's opinion," Ginny said.

"True," Hermione sighed. "I suppose working at the Ministry would be easier though, and I'd be closer to Ron."

Ginny raised an eyebrow at this. "You're not planning your life around my brother, are you?"

"No, absolutely not!" Hermione answered. Then she thought about it, and groaned inwardly. "I guess I was a little bit there, wasn't I?"

"Don't take a Ministry job just to be closer to Ron," Ginny said. "It's fine to do it because you want to do it, but honestly, you two seemed a little awkward before they left."

"It was a bit awkward, if I'm honest," Hermione grimaced. "I mean, it was wonderful finally being with him and everything, but he would try to move rather quickly sometimes and I wasn't sure about it yet."