Ch. 2

Hermione was somewhat surprised that Malfoy was actually taking his duties seriously when he helped her lead the first years to Hagrid. Of course, it was obvious that he was avoiding her, but she didn't mind. And Ginny was able to keep a carriage back for Hermione so she wouldn't have to ride with Malfoy when all of the first years were successfully in their boats.

"Is that Blaise Zabini?" Ginny asked as Hermione hopped up onto the carriage.

Hermione looked to see where Ginny was looking at, seeing a tall, dark wizard facing away from them as he talked to the blond. "I think so. He probably hung back to make sure Malfoy had someone to go with."

"I'm still amazed they all decided to come back," Ginny said as the carriage began to move away. "Especially Malfoy."

"I know, I'm very surprised about it," Hermione sighed. "Though there are a lot of surprising things happening this year, apparently."

Ginny laughed, and they continued to chat all the way to the castle. After all these years, the castle was still a wonder at night to Hermione. She smiled to herself as they entered the castle and was absentmindedly listening to Ginny as they walked to the Great Hall.

Their usual seats in the middle of the table were still empty, and as soon as they sat down on opposite sides of the table they were greeted by Dean and Seamus. Seamus sat down next to Hermione while Dean sat opposite of him next to Ginny.

"Good evening, ladies!" Seamus said excitedly.

"Hi Seamus!" Ginny replied just as happily.

"Congratulations on getting Head Girl, 'Mione," Dean said, grinning at her. "Who's the Head Boy?"

Hermione faltered slightly, but neither of the boys noticed as they looked up to glared past her. Seamus hissed, "What is he doing back?"

Hermione knew exactly who Seamus was talking about but turned anyway to see both Draco and Blaise walking into the Great Hall together. The Hall quieted down slightly at their entrance but soon the conversations picked back up after the two Slytherins disappeared at their table.

"He's got some nerve coming back here after what he did," Seamus growled.

"We feel the same way," Ginny said, nodding towards Hermione who stayed silent. "And McGonagall for some reason picked him as Head Boy."

"Are you serious?" Dean asked, giving her a skeptical look before looking over at Hermione. "Is she serious?"

"Unfortunately, yes," Hermione sighed. "And I don't believe there's anything we can do to change that."

"We'll talk to McGonagall," Seamus said in a serious voice. "And if he gives you any trouble, 'Mione, just let us know!"

Hermione smiled at him and shook her head. "It'll be fine, he hasn't done anything so far."

"Either way," Dean said in a more quiet voice. "You're our friend and we want to make sure no one gives you trouble."

"Thank you, both of you," Hermione said.

The sound of glass clinking together caught everyone's attention and soon the noise in the Great Hall died down. Professor McGonagall stood up and moved from behind the table to the front where the Sorting Hat was seated on a small wooden stool.

The front doors of the Hall opened and Hagrid led the new batch of first years in. They all looked around with wide eyes, and many pointed up at the bewitched candles that were floating underneath the ceiling.

"Thank you, Rubeus," McGonagall nodded.

Hagrid nodded in return and as quietly as he could, he made his way back to the head table. He sat down next to Professor Flitwick, who bounced slightly in shock when Hagrid sat down very heavily next to him. Hermione smiled and returned her attention back to the group of first years.