Chapter 5

I woke in the morning and looked over at the clock.

0637...no lie in for me!

We were given today as a rest day in preparation for the beginning of Stage 2. I climbed out of bed and rubbed my eyes. They stung. I had cried myself to sleep last night and as I looked in the mirror in the bathroom - it was blatently obvious.

My cheek was stitched and my eyes bloodshot and puffy. It wasn't  good look. I washed up and pulled on some clothing. I needed to get something nicer for rest days.

Lupei was still sleeping but she looked troubled as I picked up on of my books and made my way to the dining hall. 

I picked up some fruit and made my way to the furthest table. If anything would help take away the thoughts of the fact that Kayleen had gone - it would be a book.

I still couldn't quite believe it. I expected her cheery face to come around the corner at any moment...but I knew it wouldn't. I felt tears welling in my eyes again so quickly blinked and opened my book. I became so engrossed I didn't even notice when someone approached me.

"Is it really that gripping?"

I looked up, startled to be awoken from my false reality, only to smile slightly at Four's warm smile.

"Actually, it is."

He sat beside me with his breakfast and I shuffled in my seat.

"So...what's it about?"

Was he seriously trying to start a conversation with me? I looked around at the still relatively empty dining hall and decided he must just want company.

"Um....it's set in the 1920's...and it's about this rich guy who holds the biggest parties ever but they are all a show and he just holds them in the hope that this girl he fell in love with will turn up." I popped a grape in my mouth.

"Huh...why doesn't he just ask her?"

"Well...she's married. But her husband is a douche...it's kind of complicated. You should read it."

"Maybe I will." He smiled and my stomach flitted slightly. "How are you holding up? That's going to leave a nice scar" His thumb traced the cut on my cheek.

I felt my face burn up and my stomach flipped.

Oh man...please don't have a crush on Four...

I chewed the inside of my cheek nervously. "It's ok, it doesn't hurt much." I turned my face back to my book. He chuckled.

"You know - you don't need to be so nervous around me. Eric is the one to watch out for. Plus he is a leader. I'm not. I was just like you last year."

Somehow that thought made me feel slightly better about talking to him. But why was he warning me about Eric?

"So what's Stage 2?" I asked...wondering if our new friendship would allow me secrets.

"I can't tell you that"

No such luck...dammit.

I shrugged. It was worth a shot!

"How are you feeling after yesterday?" he asked softly.

"I'm ok...my head still hurts a little but..."

"No, I mean about Kayleen..."

I tensed at the sound of her name. I had almost forgotten for a short while.

"Oh...well...I don't know." I turned my face away again. He would not see me cry. "Rules are rules" I repeated the term Eric had said.

"Just because there are rules.."he placed a hand on my chin and turned my face to him, "doesn't mean you can't be human" His deep eyes had me. HIs touch lingered on my skin.