chapter 9

Hailey's POV

River casually walked out of the bathroom with me still in his arms and placed me on the bed.

His bed was warm and soft. It was inviting to say the least, just like I'd imagined.

Not that I'd imagined....

He then started to get some pillows and a blanket and threw it on the floor.

He made a makeshift bed on the floor and laid down.

"What are you doing?" I asked him, propping myself up on my elbow.

"Going to sleep?" He said making it sound like a question.

Why was he going to sleep on the floor when there was a perfectly fine king size bed? Did he not want to be that close to me? 

"On the floor?" I asked him

"Clearly. Why? Are you that eager to get in my pants?" He remarked with spite.

I scoffed at his remark. It came out of nowhere.

"God. What is your problem? You were being nice a second ago." I told him

After a few seconds of silence I continued.

"Listen if you don't want to be that close to me then I'll sleep on the floor. It's your bed after all." I hastily said while I threw myself to the floor on the opposite side of the room.

"It's not that!" River immediately said. While standing up.

He walked over to the side of the room that I was laying down on.

"Can you stop being so difficult and just sleep on the bed?" He practically yelled at me.

"Oh, I'm difficult? You're the one who has constant mood swings and confuses the hell out of me!" I yelled back at him still laying on the floor.

"Stop being so over dramatic!" He yelled back.

"Ok." I said, deciding I didn't want to fight anymore.

I didn't make a move to get up from the floor, because even though I didn't want to fight I was still mad at him.

"Ok? That's it?" River questioned me

"Yea. That's it. I don't want to fight with your anymore. I'm tired." I answered him, avoiding looking at him.

River sighed loudly and bent down next to me.

"Listen Hailey, I'm sorry Okay?"

I continued to ignore him because I was on the verge of tears after all that's happened tonight. 

"Look at me." River said as he gently grabbed my face so that I was staring into his eyes.

My lip quivered and I bit it to stop myself from crying.

"It's not you, I promise you it's not. I just.... I don't know what you're doing to me. I don't mean to lash out on you and I don't mean to confuse you."

When he said that I let out a quiet sob. I don't know why his words made me lose it even more. I felt like I had put up a wall against all my emotions and he was breaking it down without warning.

A single tear escaped from my eye and I immediately shut them.

River wiped the tear with his thumb and said to me,

"Hey, open your eyes. Everything's okay. I know it's been a long day, but I'm here. Trust me."

With that I opened my eyes and was met with his intense gaze. His face was closer to mine than it was before, if I made any sudden movements our lips would surely touch.