2 | s.o.s.

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐
chapter two
S.O.S.
└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

───── ─────

LENA NEVER THOUGHT SHE'D be walking through a half-devastated Manhattan alongside Bruce Banner, a slight wind blowing the debris and dirt in their faces. Silently, she puts up a shield in front of them to prevent the dust from hitting its mark. Bruce slightly jolts when she does so; she hadn't brought attention to herself since Tony had disappeared. She's tucked inside of herself, body mostly on autopilot as it follows the scientist through the abandoned streets.

This portion of the city is a ruin. Cars are everywhere– parked on the sides of streets, smashed into telephone poles, crushed against each other, or merely left in the middle of the road. Dust and dirt are layered so thickly onto the sidewalk that Lena's boots leave footprints. The wind from the spaceship's arrival and departure had blown in trash from alleyways as well. Some garbage bags are torn, strewing rubbish along the pavement. Her nose twitches at the reek that wafts her way as they approach.

Again, without saying a word, Lena forms a ball around the trash and uses a gust of energy to carry the contents of the bag back into the nearest alley. It's not much, but maybe it'll make one person's job easier.

She finally speaks when she realizes she has no idea what's going on. "Where are we going, Dr. Banner?"

"Tony left something," Bruce replies vaguely, squinting his coffee-colored eyes against the bright hue of the force field in front of them. "Something important, so we need to find it. And, please, you can call me Bruce." He pauses. She doesn't return his gaze when he suddenly looks at her in bewilderment. "Speaking of which, who are you?"

"Lena Santos," she answers with a casual shrug. "Infamous vigilante native to New York and only on Mr. Stark's radar because of an accident. I can manipulate energy, but it also makes me really jittery." She conveniently forgets to mention that it's because her parents had exploded before they'd gotten the chance to stabilize their experiments on her. "It's a complicated story."

"Tell me about it," he agrees in a slight scoff, shaking his head. "I spent two years as the Hulk on an alien planet after I crash-landed there on a quinjet, then Thor rescued me after I tried to kill him and we fought his sister, the goddess of death, to keep Asgard from falling. We had to destroy it to stop her, then a giant purple alien named Thanos killed most of the citizens. And that's just within the past few months."

Lena is momentarily stunned. It takes her a few moments to process everything he'd just said, but she eventually nods with her lips pursed. "Yeah, okay, you win."