Chapter Eight

Jason pulls up to a bar on a lake front. It looks like an old, run down shack, but cars are lined up for a mile away. Bella takes in the lantern lights lighting a path to the bar, and then lighting the porch that extends from the bar straight into the lake. She can hear the music from outside, it's soft but strong, like a piano ballad.

"You can head on in, just tell Theo you know me, I'll go park." Jason hollers out of the window. Bella nods, adjusting her grip on the carrier as she starts down the stone path. The closer she gets, the louder the cheering from inside gets.

Standing at the entrance of the bar is a tall, gangly old man with a long silver beard. He's dressed in all black, with a security badge pinned to his shirt and a flashlight in his hand. He watches her approach and smiles when she steps into the pale light coming through the open door of the bar.

"Greetings, young lady." He eyes the carrier in her hand, "I'm sorry, but we don't allow babies--"

"It's not real, it's for a school project." She quickly informs him, tipping the carrier so he can see the plastic baby.

"Oh." He nods, "You're not over 21 are you?" He narrows his eyes slightly, but smiles because he knows the answer.

"No." She shakes her head, glancing behind her to see if Jason is on his way yet.

"Well, I'll have to put a bracelet on you. Is it your first time?" He pulls a neon green paper bracelet from his pocket and wraps it around her left wrist that she offers.

Bella bites her lip, glancing again over her shoulder, "Yeah, my older brother Jason is showing me the band that's playing tonight."

"Yeah, Lasting Revival is a popular band." Theo nods, ushering her inside, "You can go on in, since your Jason's sister I trust you."

Inside is a lot nicer than outside, with polished hardwood floors and smooth countertops at the bar to the right off the entrance. The building was long and open, with a bar lining the right wall as she walks in. Lining the left wall is a small dining area and in the back a large stage is set up with a lowered dance floor in front of it. The back is darkened, with the over LED lights focused on the stage. The dining and bar area is well lit with only a few people lingering in it. The dance floor is packed with people standing shoulder to shoulder as the band plays on stage.

Bella watches Dom drumming, playing a little solo while Omar, Jinx and Hale crouch at the front of the stage, shaking hands with fans. She frowns as girls practically throw themselves at the boys on stage. She feels the same familiar stab of jealousy that she felt watching Viv playing with Hale's hair as she watches a girl with blonde hair pull Hale's head down to talk into his ear. He pulls away from her quickly, frowning briefly as he shakes his head, moving onto the next person. Then they hype up the crowd as they take the places at their instruments.

Jinx picks up a guiter, while Omar stands at the keyboard and Hale backs into center stage, at the mic. Lead singer, like Jason told her. It doesn't surprise her. Dom's drum solo ends and they pick up playing again.

"Nobody knows the way I think about you," Hale sings into the mic, his voice smooth as silk, raw with emotion. Goosebumps rise on Bella's arms, a shiver running down her spine. "You draw me into your golden eyes,"

She inhales sharply, letting his words wash over her. He dips the mic, his eyes drifting closed, "And I swear you'll be my demise."

As he raises his head again, his stormy eyes scan over the crowd. Bella exhales the breath she didn't know she was holding until his eyes meet hers. They burn with an insane amount of intensity, shock briefly registering on his face. So much so that he misses his next line, which gets picked up by Omar, who doesn't quite have the right emotion in his voice for it.