TWENTY: Exhausting

Being engaged to Hawks was...exhausting.

If enduring interviews and the paparazzi wasn't enough, planning the wedding was torturous. Of course, Best Jeanist insisted he organise the entire thing, but that didn't mean I wasn't dragged around to every little tasting, fitting and the likes.
"Okay...but, like...I don't have any female friends...Can't I just put Tokoyami in a dress? Dark Shadow could totally be the ring bearer..." My top half was sprawled across the kitchen counter as Best Jeanist scanned over his checklist for the trillionth time.

"I'm afraid he is already on Hawks' side of the wedding party, (Y/N)..." He sighed; my constant whining grating down at his nerves. "What about..."
"Knock knock! Who's there?! Me!" I yelped as the front door burst open, and a beaming Ms. Joke strolled in like she owned the place.

How the hell did she find out where I lived..?

"Sorry to just barge in like this, but I wanted to bring you an engagement present! I know there's like, a party in a few days, but I couldn't help myself!" Her grin was almost contagious, and I straightened myself up to greet her properly.
"Th..that's fine, it's just surprising...You really didn't have to buy us a gift, though..." I rubbed the back of my neck awkwardly.

"Hah! Classic! Nah, this is a gift for you! I heard a little birdy chatting about a certain thing you liked, so I pulled some strings! They should be here in an hour or so!" Pulling out a sheet of paper, she handed it to me and waited excitedly for my reaction. It took me a moment to read the order confirmation, but when I did, I couldn't stop the wild, almost goofy smirk that spread across my face.

"You bought me a Roomba...for every room in the house..." I half laughed; picturing the sheer terror of my future husband. "I fucking love you...Thank you so much!" Ms. Joke clapped her hands and twirled around on the spot before wandering over and peering over Jeanist's shoulder, much to his dismay.

"What'cha got there, Bestie?" She asked, but I tuned out his response as I was struck with a grand idea. Hurriedly, I raced over and grabbed her by the arm.

"Hey...uh, Fukukado, right? How would you like to be my Maid of Honour at the wedding..?" I didn't particularly want this jokester in my wedding party, but I didn't have many options. I couldn't let myself look pitiful next to Hawks and his group of men, and she was kind enough. Better than Mount Lady, that was for sure. She lit up like a beacon in the night and swept me into a bone crushing bear hug; swinging me around the room until I felt like I was going to lose my lunch.

"This is the first time I'm hoping something isn't a joke! I'd love to!" She cheered; setting me down as she heard me gag a little. "Wowee, you don't look so crash hot..." She was right. Ever since the cake tasting three days ago, I had been feeling pretty cruddy, but who could blame me after shovelling over sixteen different baked goods into my gullet?

"Go lay down, I insist. I'll wake you when the order is here or if you're called out for an emergency." Jeanist started to usher me away with his clipboard and I pouted at him like a child.

"What are you, my dad?" I sulked as I batted him away gently. I saw his brow twitch upwards a little, and I wasn't quite sure, but I thought it hinted that he was smiling beneath that horrendous amount of denim.

"Sometimes it feels like I am. You two cause enough trouble separately, let alone united...Somebody has to take care of you..." He sighed, though it was in no way exasperated. Smiling back at him, I bid Ms. Joke farewell, along with another thank you, before I went to crash out on my bed.

----------------------------------------

"Honey, I'm home!" Hawks called out; already changed into his casual attire, save for his coat, as he descended through the skylight. I smiled from my place on the couch and gave him a small wave, not looking up from the sheets of paper in my hands.