Chapter 19: CLOCKWORK PRINCE

Will walked into Magnus's house. As usual, Magnus was talking animatedly to Nora, who was lounging on a couch, laughing.

  "I'm back," Will said, shrugging off his coat.

  Nora jumped up and walked over to him. She smiled, taking his coat and wrapping it around her.

  "Great."

  Will thought back to what had happened the day everyone found out that Caspian was Nora's Brother. At night, she had sat down outside her room door, waiting for him to exit his.

  "I'll help you," She had said. "I made you a promise, didn't I? Plus, I can't watch as your heart gets broken over and over again. The coldest people have the most fragile hearts, after all."

  Now Magnus watched Will as he took off his hat, laying it on a table.

  Nora wrapped herself tightly in Will's coat. It was raining outside. Even though Magnus had a fire, Will learnt that Nora got cold easily.

  Nora sat herself back on the couch, and Will handed Magnus the bag of ingredients he had gotten from a few ifrits.

  Will sat himself next to Nora, and placed his legs up on the tea table in front of them.

  Nora scowled and smacked his leg.

  "Off," She ordered. "Your boots are all muddy. Hardly acceptable. Now, Liam."

  Will sighed irritably but nonetheless, brought his legs down. Nora was practically the only one who could tell him what to do. Simply because she did it as if she didn't care but would kill him if he didn't listen.

  "Well, Magnus?" Will asked impatiently.

  "These things take time, William," Magnus said. "Come back this Saturday."

  Will made an impatient noise. "How long more will I have to wait?"

  "You've waited five years, William. A few more weeks should be nothing to you," Magnus said calmly, looking through the bag that Will had brought him.

  It had been two weeks since the Mortmain episode. A week and a half, actually. The whole week Nora had followed Will around, helping him with his errands for Magnus.

  Over the time, what Will had felt for Tessa seemed so dim compared to what he felt for Nora. Nora was so different from Tessa. She spoke the truth and wasn't afraid of it. She took on dangerous tasks. She would sacrifice anything for anyone she loved. She was headstrong and wasn't afraid to think the worst of people.

  And Nora understood him.

  He realised that the day she had told him she'd help. The coldest people have the most fragile hearts, after all.

  "You don't understand," Will said in anguish. "Before I didn't have—"

  He cut himself off, choking back on the words before he could have exposed himself.

  "Didn't have?"

  "Enough, Magnus," Nora said in a playful tone. "We'll see you on Saturday."

  Magnus grinned at her. Magnus and Nora had this relationship. They had known each other for a long time. They treated each other as siblings would.

  Will opened his mouth to complain but Nora stood up, taking off Will's coat. She handed the heavy clothing to him and he stood up.

  "Fine," Will grumbled. "Let's go."

  Nora smiled at him—a smile that made his heart ache—and hooked her arm through his.

  "Have a nice evening, Magnus," She said, and they headed out of the house.