Chapter Twenty: Fish Out Of Water

For the following week Camille had suffered through the immense embarrassment that anyone would feel after facing rejection; she lost much of her confidence when it came to daily activities, and even worse, her job

For the following week Camille had suffered through the immense embarrassment that anyone would feel after facing rejection; she lost much of her confidence when it came to daily activities, and even worse, her job. She even found herself paranoid that others could sense the significant drop in her self-esteem - as if the failure had an aroma that they could smell, or it was written in bright permanent marker all over her skin.

It took a particularly long conversation with her grandma before she realised the extent of her mental slump. It had been difficult to deal with the mortification, but she slowly realised that self-pity wasn't going to change anything either. The fact was that Arthur didn't reciprocate her feelings, and she wasn't going to dwell on that for any longer than necessary. Camille had more important things to worry about anyway; like that report on the supposedly 'spontaneous' fire that she had been delaying...or the red-head wandering around the city as if she were completely lost.

Camille's grip tightened on her steering wheel and she eased her foot off the accelerator, much to the dismay of the cars behind her, then slowly crept forward until she could clearly see the woman in the mass of people. Realisation hit Camille like a truck on the freeway, and it took a great deal of effort to not accidentally crash herself into the myriad of drivers passing by. It was Mera, and she was staring into a shop window as if it might move if she even blinked for too long. She touched a finger against the smooth glass and flinched at its solidness - she had been expecting her hand to go straight through it like the surface of the ocean.

The police vehicle rolled to a halt in the parking lane and Camille slowly rolled her window to yell. "Hey! Need a glass of water?"

Mera jumped at the familiar voice and swiftly turned around. Her eyes lit up at the sight of Camille inside of the moving metal contraption Surface-dwellers used to travel. She shuffled towards the officer, gaining even more attention from the people passing by as she cut right through the crowds. It was already difficult to overlook her in that glimmering, skintight Atlantean armour but her cluelessness towards the world above water certainly didn't help.

"Thank Poseidon! I thought I'd never find you!" Mera exclaimed, watching with confusion as Camille reached over to open the passenger door. She stared at the metal arm for a few seconds, then gave it a firm poke. The door wobbled on its hinges and Mera held her arms out as if she were ready to attack at any moment.

"Umm...Mera?" Camille said, grabbing the other woman's attention for a few brief seconds. "It's not gonna do anything...it's a door. It's inanimate."

Mera's arms fell back at her sides limply and she huffed. "That's a weird looking door."

Camille glanced at the metalwork with a raised eyebrow. "Is it?"

"They're rounder in Atlantis but it's rare that we use them at all." Mera stumbled closer to the car, eyes never leaving the subject of her concern. "We have more efficient methods."