Chapter 9

There's a reason to everything. Is Reverse the only one to unravel the so-called secrets of Skepto? That there was existences of the multiverses? If that's the case, Reverse and Fang are just copies in one of the many, many branches. Each decision would open a new world, and there were billions of people, meaning infinite amounts of worlds to travel.

Shizuko was wrong. He didn't forget.

But Fang did.

Ever since they left Skepto's atmosphere, Fang claimed that he could barely remember Fake Reverse's hair colour, and that was one of the most outstanding traits among them.

"It's white," Reverse reminded him.

Fang frowned. "What's white? What are you talking about?"

"The other versions of us we saw at the bodyguard's eliminator..."

"Hold on. Other versions of us?"

Reverse gave up explaining. He would rather keep this to himself. If Fang knew, he wouldn't rest well. Maybe some villain would seek to conquer the multiverses in the future, and he or she will seek down every scrap of information it could find. The less people knew, the better.

As their ship landed on Earth's land, there was surprisingly nothing such as specified space parking. It was an island in the sky, surrounded by an azure blue sea from every other direction. It was the most beautiful thing that Reverse had ever seen, and Fang agreed with him.

"We're..." Reverse's voice fell faint. "We're in... we're on Pulau Rintis."

Fang sensed the heaviness that his boyfriend's words held. He put a hand on his shoulder. "If you don't like it, we can go right now. It's your call."

Reverse shook his head. He forced himself to scan the surroundings in an analytical manner. Before he had ever departed to space, he could enjoy mindless joy. Now, a potential battleground was everywhere to him, one that would end up in scorching flames.

Things hadn't changed much over the years, the only difference being the size of the flora surrounding the park. The saplings had sprouted into trees. The cement tubes by the monkey bars were worn down from the passing of time. He felt like someone who had left his hometown for decades, and he had returned to see the damage that every second had inflicted.

"Do you think your grandfather is still alive?" Fang inquired.

Reverse paused, avoiding eye contact. His fists were clenched. This was one question he had feared to have a negative solution.

"He has to be." Reverse's hand was clasped into Fang's. "If he is... it's my fault. I ran off."

Fang gave his hand a gentle squeeze. "You were young, okay? None of it is your fault. You didn't know better."

Reverse shook his head listlessly. "I should've."

Fang said nothing. Recalling the descriptions Reverse had given him when they were exchanging secrets in the ship, he led him towards the supposed destination: Kokotiam. There's a public washroom nearby, some old trees too, and maybe... is there supposed to be an alien nearby?

"Adu-du!" Reverse scowled. "What are you doing here?"

The green, box-headed alien whirled in shock. He was holding a blaster, which the end was directed towards an old man in a stall. His assistant, Probe, who was rebuilt was cheering him on. His cheers abruptly stuttered to a halt as Reverse and Fang intruded.

"You two!" Adu-du shrieked. "We're on the same side! You should be helping me, not play the lousy hero!"

"How many times have I told you, Adu-du." Fang glared. "We're not villains. We're vigilantes. Get your facts straight!"