Michael Gray - Million Dreams

"Henry...Henry are you awake?" You whispered as you crept inside Henry's room. He sat up in bed trying to make out the figure by his door. "Y/N? Can't sleep again?" You sighed as you flopped onto his bed "No, Luke and Frankie keep arguing outside the door"

He nodded in response and moved over so you could slide underneath the covers. It was silent for a while until Henry spoke up "Y/N, d...do you think we'll get adopted soon?" You rolled over to face him "of course Henry and any family that takes you will be lucky to have you, we're only ten anyway so we have plenty time to find a family" he smiled and nodded as you rolled back on your back. "And any family would be lucky to have you as well Y/N"

"Henry?" You whispered "yeah Y/N?"
"What do you think it's going to be like when we are older?" Henry sat up and looked down at you. You always loved listening to your bestfriend talk about what their future would be like.

"Well Y/N, we are gonna live in a really big house and I'm going to be really really rich. Maybe have my own company. We'll own horses and ducks and chickens and goats!" You giggled as you listened to him continue on "we'll live in the city and get away from the boring countryside and....and when I have loads of money I'm going to buy the biggest diamond ring I can find and I'm gonna marry you" he looked at you as you smiled and sat up next to him. "They're some really big dreams Henry" " yeah? Well I've got a million of 'em" you looked over at the window listening to the wind blow outside. "Am I apart of these dreams Henry?" You looked back at him as he nodded "always Y/N"

That night seemed like it happened just the night before,but that wasn't the case. You were now both 18 years old. Both of you had been adopted by 2 really nice families and luckily, they didn't live that far away from each other so they still got to see each other every day.

It was a sunny afternoon as you walked down the cobble stone path, past the little well outside of Henry's house. You both got sick of seeing that well and vowed that one day you'd both smash it into tiny little pieces. You laughed at the thought.

As you reached the front gate to Henry's house, you saw his little brother kicking a ball around the garden, the saddest look on his face. You frowned as you saw his mother with the exact same look. She walked into the garden, ruffling the little boys hair, a sad smile was given in return. "Mrs Johnson?" Her head snapped up to you and tears filled her eyes. She shook her head no and stood up "he's gone Y/N, back to his real family. He left this morning"

Your jaw dropped open in shock, he hadn't told you he was leaving and he was never planning to either. You ran out of the garden and back down the path where you had previously walked. Reaching the little well, you kicked it and broke down in sobs, your bestfriend had left and you really hurt your foot when you kicked the well. "He'll write to me, he won't just leave" you kept whispering to yourself as you sat there, letting the hot sun burn your arms.

~~~~
It had been 3 years since Henry had left you, no letters were received so you pushed him into the back of your mind, the best you could of course.

You were now 21 years old and you desperately wanted to get out of the country,now here you were, walking towards a big pub in small heath. You saw a job vacancy in the paper for a bar maid and figured it was better than having to see the well and same old countryside every single day.

You pushed open the doors and pushed past a bustle of drunk men, making your way to the bar. "What can I get ya miss" a tall man looked down at you waiting patiently for you to answer. "Harry! A bottle of Irish whiskey" a hatch opened from a side room in the bar a thick accent interrupting you. Accent or not you knew who the voice belonged too. After all,you had grown up listening to the same voice talk about his dreams.

"H..Henry?" At the sound of his old name being spoke, Michael's head snapped towards the front of the bar. The hatch slammed shut and a few moments later, Michael was stood in front of you. "Y/N? oh god, what are you doing here"

You looked him up and down, he was wearing an expensive looking suit, his blonde hair was slicked back and a cigarette occupied one of his hands. Tears filled your eyes at seeing your bestfriend again.

By now,the Shelby brothers were stood at the door watching the exchange between you two "Michael hurry up lad, we've got business to do" the older Shelby shouted, earning a punch on the arm from John.

"Michael?" You questioned him "that's your new name now" he looked at you confused and remembered that he hadn't told you anything, he hadn't told you he was leaving or his name or anything. "Y/N I was going to write to you and tell you, I swear. I was just so busy, helping Tommy run the company an all" you laughed, forcing back the tears that threatened to fall .

"Company?" He nodded, his eyes never leaving your face "you got a big house as well? And with a suit like that you must be rich" he nodded,answering both questions. "Well, I'm glad your dreams came true,Hen-Michael" you corrected yourself and turned to walk away from him and back out of the bar. The Shelby boys leaning against the bar watching you carefully. "Y/N please wait, I'm sorry" you turned around one last time " you lied to me Michael, you said I'd be apart of these dreams but you, you forgot about me"

Michael watched you leave the bar, cursing himself once again. "Fuck!" He screamed and kicked a table out of the way. "Michael, who was that" Finn questioned. Michael looked at the younger boy and sighed "that was my bestfriend when I lived in the country, I promised her that no matter what she'd be apart of my dreams and my life. No matter how big or small they were" he gulped and carried on "she was always there for me, when I was in the right and in the wrong. We did everything together and I fucked it up"

Arthur patted his cousins back in attempt to comfort the boy "you loved her lad" the Shelby's walked back into the little room, leaving Michael to sit at the bar, watching his tears drop into his drink.