Chapter 20: Knitting and Regretting

Katherine's peaceful state was crushed after Draco arrived back from his last class and stormed inside their bedroom.

"Herbology is ridiculous," he said as he loosened his tie in frustration.

"What happened?"

"Nothing, other than the fact that this stupid plant tried to kill me."

"What did you do to it?"

"What did I do?" His eyes widened. "Katherine, I was almost killed!"

"Yeah, that's why I'm asking you what you did. The plant must've had a reason for wanting to... You know."

"To murder me viciously?" He crossed his arms on his chest.

The Hufflepuff nodded slowly, a smile starting to grow on her lips, which didn't go unnoticed by her future husband.

"Yes, that is very funny. Go ahead, laugh at me, just don't be surprised if one day I don't come back after class."

"Oh, come on, I'm sure you'll be fine. Maybe you should just be nicer to plants."

"Or perhaps plants should be nicer to me," he narrowed his eyes. "Be nicer to plants... What a joke."

Shaking his head, he walked over to Katherine who was curled up on the sofa in front of the fireplace.

"What are you doing anyway?"

"I'm knitting," she answered with a big smile.

"Knitting?" He asked back while scrunching his nose up. "Why would you do that?"

"Because I enjoy it?"

Furrowing his eyebrows, he sat down next to her and took a look at what she was holding.

"Okay... And what is this supposed to be?"

"Well, I'm trying to make a scarf for my mother. It will be her Christmas present."

"This? A present?" Draco asked, a hint of disgust obvious in his voice.

"Yes," Katherine nodded slowly, her mood decreasing.

"Nonsense. Why would you give her this, when you could buy something instead?"

"Because... Because this is more personal."

"Oh well, I don't know about your mom, but if I got something like this, I would be furious. I'd think it was a joke, even."

Katherine glanced down at the lilac creation in her lap, a pout appearing on her lips.

It was her mother's favourite colour.

"I will definitely give my mother something expensive, something luxurious. I mean, isn't that what Christmas is for? I wouldn't want to disrespect her with anything less than that."

"I'm sure she's going to like it," she smiled weakly.

"Of course she will."

The room fell silent.

Draco checked his watch, then he stood up from the couch.

"Anyway, I'm going to go meet with Blaise now. I'll be back later."

"Okay," she murmured.

With a nod, he turned away, then left.

Reaching down to her knitting basket that she kept next to the sofa, Katherine pulled out a green and grey striped scarf. She started working on it right after she heard about the match, and since she didn't have much time, she had to hurry, so it wasn't perfect. She was planning on wearing it on Friday, but after hearing Draco's words, she wasn't so sure if she should do that or not.

Arriving outside, Draco spotted his friend.

"Hey," he greeted him.

"Hey, man."

The two of them went to find a place to sit.

"So..." Blaise clapped his hands together. "Tell me. How's Katherine? What's going on with her?"

"She's fine. Actually, I just caught her knitting."

"Knitting?" Blaise asked, his eyes widening.

"I know, right? She was working on a scarf for her mom, she actually wants to give that to her as her Christmas present."

"Wow..."

"Yeah," Draco nodded.

"That's so cool!"

Furrowing his eyebrows, he turned his head towards his friend, who had an honest-looking smile on his face.

"Excuse me?"

"It's nice that she wants to give her something more personal."

"You think it's nice?"

"Absolutely," Blaise nodded.

"But she could just buy her something."

"As shocking as it may sound, money isn't everything, Draco."

Narrowing his eyes, he turned his attention to the ground.

"Actually, it's pretty sweet of her to take her time and energy to create something handmade instead of taking an item off of a shelf in some store and call it a day. It really shows that she cares."

"I... I guess I never thought about it that way."

"Of course you didn't, because you're materialistic as –"

"Blaise!"

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding!" He grinned.

"Sure."

"But honestly, I think that scarf will make an awesome present."

After hearing the opinion of his friend, Draco started regretting the way he spoke about Katherine's work, he wished that he showed more support and appreciation towards her.

He could only wish that she cared enough about him to make something for him as well, but he knew he wouldn't deserve that. Not after the way he talked to her.

A/N

Happy New Year everyone! May 2019 be our most magical year yet!

Sorry for only updating now. I don't want to make any promises, but I will try to update more regularly.

Thank you so much for reading/voting/commenting, it honestly means the world to me.

I hope you have a wonderful day!