Chapter Eleven

Bella wakes up the next morning, cold and uncomfortable. She vaguely remembers the events of last night and inviting Hale to stay the night. The curfew law is very strict in this town, the police don't play when it comes to minors out past curfew, especially on the night of homecoming. It made her feel weird thinking about Hale sleeping downstairs, and it kept her up all night. She wanted to know what he was thinking. She was even more curious about him now than she ever was and though she meant to seek some sort of clarity in dancing while him, her mind completely went blank as soon as she took his hand.

She sits up, stretching. A delicious smell is wafting into her room, drawing her out of bed. She looks at herself in the mirror for a minute, wincing at the remaining makeup on her face from her sloppy attempt to wipe it off. Before leaving her room, she wipes the remains off. She follows the smell of sausage and waffles downstairs, expecting to see Jason in the kitchen. Instead, Hale's voice greets her.

"It's you, the center of my fascination, I can't fight my attraction." He sings, his deep voice echoing through out the house. "Oh the way you smile! Makes me want to stay a while."

Bella smiles, listening to his beautiful voice.

"Good morning, Short Stack." He calls, grinning. Bella peeks around the corner, stepping into the kitchen.

"How'd you know?" She questions, looking around. The kitchen is a mess, but there's golden waffles on a plate with eggs, hashbrowns and a bowl of fruit.

"You are heavy footed coming down the stairs." He smiles then and Bella chuckles slightly. He hands her the plate of food and she takes a seat at the breakfast bar.

"I'm not short, by the way." She glares at him playfully.

"I'm like a foot taller than you, you're short." Hale teases.

"Am not."

"Are to. Can you even reach the top shelf of these cabinets?" Hale smirks, jabbing his thumb to the stained wooden cabinets behind him.

Bella knows she can't and doesn't want to make a fool of herself proving it. "Wipe that stupid smile off your face, Jolly-Green Giant looking--"

"Simmer down, little one. No need to get worked up." Hale fights back a grin.

Bella glares at him, mumbling grumpily. "You look like your worst fear is a ceiling fan."

"I was gonna tell you to be the bigger person, but you can't."

"I will kick the shit out of your shins." Bella threatens and this time Hale openly laughs. This makes her laugh too, and their laughter slowly dies off into a comfortable silence.

Hale then stands across from her, eating his own food. She steals glances at him every once in a while. Once they've finished their plates, Bella grabs his and sets them in the sink. She rinses them off, raising her eyes to look into the living. The baby carrier reminds her of the baby project she's supposed to be participating in, but hasn't really done anything for it.

"Did the baby keep you up? I'm sorry I didn't wake--"

Hale shakes his head, cutting her off. "You needed the sleep. She didn't wake up often. Once around four, but she slept until I woke up."

Bella nods, drying her hands off on the dish towel hanging from the cabinet handle. "You can name her," She adds, "If you want."

Hale chuckles, smiling one of those easy ones that makes Bella feel like he's opening himself up to her. She finds herself admiring how care free he looks, even though it only lasts for a moment. It makes her heart beat a little faster, in a subtle, happy way. She likes that he smiles around her. He never does that with anyone else outside of his friends. Especially at school. It made her feel special.