Chapter Fifty-Five

As I sat staring at my phone as if it had all the answers to my problems, a call came through. I answered quickly in case it was Ollie with more advice. 

"Hello?" I said quickly, crossing my fingers. 

"Hey, kitten..." Jay's voice said awkwardly. 

My shoulders sagged slightly but I quickly cheered up a bit in case he had something else to say. 

"Hi. Did you sleep okay?" I asked. 

"Yeah, thanks. It was weird to wake up without you, y'know? How's your day?"

"Fine. What are you calling about?" I asked, unable to stop the slightly harsh tone from coming into my voice. 

He was quiet for a moment. "Just to ask what time you finished and if you wanted to go and see a movie, or something."

"I have a free period right now and then another lesson before I finish. What films are on?"

"I don't know, to be honest. I just wanted to ask; I think we just need to get out of the house for a bit."

"I guess so... Why don't you ask Ollie and Finn if they want to come too? Hey, we could go out for drinks after."

"Sounds good to me. I've not had a proper night out for months. Nick's busy, and no one's talking to Corey right now so we don't need to worry about them."

"Why are you friends with Corey?" I asked suddenly, unable to help it. 

"I met him a long time ago. Finn and I met him when Corey sent him a message on some BDSM website he's a part of. Corey said he was interested in being a submissive and thought he was a masochist but the first time Finn spanked him, he practically cried. According to Finn, he was also shit at submitting."

"Does Ollie know?" 

"Of course. Ollie's never really liked Corey, knowing the history he has with Finn but no one says anything about it. They didn't do anything."

"Still doesn't tell me why you're friends with him."

Jay sighed a little. "I felt sorry for him, so I let him in and we became friends. That's it. And apparently he's madly in love with me and freaks out whenever I have a stand or someone might be interested in me."

I was quiet for a minute. So that's why he didn't like me; he thought I was after Jay when it was just simply training. Speaking of training... When was I moving on to Rob to work?

"Kaidan, you still there?" Jay asked, making me jump. 

"Uh, sorry, yeah. Still here."

"So I'll call the others and let you know what they say. I'll pick you up after your last class, okay?"

"Yeah, cool," I murmured, checking the clock. "I need to go now, I'll see you later."

We said our quick goodbyes before I headed to my next class, unable to work out why I couldn't make this sad, disappointed feeling go away.

***

"What are you wearing?" I asked, looking up from my textbook to look at Jay. 

He looked ridiculous. He was wearing tight denim shorts that looked like a teenage girl would wear them with bits of her arse hanging out the bottom. Along with that was a baggy vest with some picture on it. 

"What?" he asked, turning to look at me. "I waxed my legs yesterday, I'm not putting those strips to waste."

I rolled my eyes at him and went back to reading the pages I'd been told to read.